EC forum dude playing tourist in SW looking for tips
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

EC forum dude playing tourist in SW looking for tips

I checked out some of your recent posts, and I must say I was a bit intimidated. Compared to the EC forum, you guys are hardcore. My best bud snagged a two day rental in an auction at Fishstock up here in New Smyrna. We're bringing the wives down and dragging my 19' CC Key West. We won't be infringing on the tarpon turf as we catch enough of them up here.

The house is in Bookelia and the boat will be docked there. We may only get to fish one day, so any tips would be appreciated especially on grouper/snapper fishing. How far off do you have to run and can we get to them in a 20' boat or should we focus on redfish and snook? We have our ways of targeting all those species up here, but any local SW knowledge would be much appreciated.

Don't worry about all that debate about tarpon. If you don't want to fish for tarpon in BGP it wont' impact you at all....plus I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to come here and fish for tarpon with a jig or live bait after reading all that either.

Anyway, mangrove snapper can be had in the passes and nearshore reefs/wrecks (you can go to http://www.lee-county.com/gov/dept/N...ial_Reefs.aspx to see some artificial reefs (there is more than what is just shown on the map).

From my perspective grouper will be a little tough this time of year inside of 10 miles, but some gags can be had. If you venture out further you can find them and red grouper. Finding natural bottom in one day is a little unrealistic but you could do okay on or near some of the artificial reefs.

Hope that helps.

Long way to haul a boat for a little fishing. I would do without the fishing or just rent a boat for a day -- ~ $3-400

Snook were pretty strong this weekend on the outgoing tide around shore at captiva pass, If you dont have any numbers for hard bottom you'll be wasting time going offshore any. We saw a guy pull a keeper Gag out of captiva pass also.

We only caught short red/gag grouper 12-14 inches on pin fish but it was still a good time with the kids. Start outside the pass or inside and drift with the current. Watch your depths though cause you will get hung up. Keep it about a foot off bottom. Mango snapper were around there too. Hope it helps and have a good time.

That's excellent advice guys. Thanks so much. It is a long way to drag a boat, but we just came back from two weeks in Marathon and T.S. Debby seriously crashed our party; we got three days of fishing in before and after she blew, so we're still trying to make up for lost time.

One more question: is there a restaurant we shouldn't miss while on Pine Island? Thanks again for the responses.

In Matlacha there's Bert's Bar and Grill, they have live music and the food isn't bad either and the Sandy Hook Fish House. St.James City there's Woody's rest. On Bokeelia there's Lazy Flamingo and Tarpon Lodge rest.

Waterfront grill in st.james city makes great burgers. When we take my buddies flats boat out we stop there for lunch. They have like 6 or 7 slips. One of those island places with crap stapled all over the walls. Cool place.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Reds resturant was pretty good

If you can net some decent pinfish you should be able to catch some gags and snapper drifting through Boca Grand 30 feet and deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by simeoncoleman View Post
    Reds resturant was pretty good
    Reds is good. I was disappointed that the portion size has gotten smaller

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2