Dania Beach Snook

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dania Beach Snook

Headed out to Dania 2 days ago for some snookin and bait gathering for an offshore trip yesterday. Lots of bait, mostly smaller 2-3 inch pilchards and scaled sardines. Some bigger schools of 4-5 inchers just have to be patient. Had been fishing the few days before with artificials, had some hits and misses so decided to go with bait. Lost 1, missed 1, and got one. The fish arent concentrated heavily yet, just kind of roaming around. Once that bait gets really thick and gets some more size to them the snook will be easy to locate. As for now look for deep holes in the trough, sometimes you have to take a walk and just observe, making very few casts.The water will start to look fishy when there are snook in the mix, i.e. bait dimpling, birds diving heavily right in front of you, boils, i have even seen them coming out of the water in groups of ten or so which is a good sign they are turning on. got this one finally as the day ended. Also went offshore yesterday, had a slow but good day with a respectable dolphin, 2 sails trolling way out in the deep, and a nice 30lb blackfin on a dead ballyhoo on wire nevertheless. Heres some pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	38774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120702_092710.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	38775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120702_104933.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	38776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120702_132454.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	38777

Looks like two awesome days of fishing! Thanks for the detailed beach report

Good job

Thanks, jimenez i figured i would have to go into detail as i saw many people looking for beach info and i am a beach dweller, catch em up

Nice snooker!

About what time did you catch him?

Great snook. I fish that beach regularly and they are starting to turn on. Caught three today on arties near the jetty. 30", 32" and 36+". Had three other hits that came unbuttoned. Also got to play around with some small tarpon- maybe 10-25lbs. Three crashes on my Mirrodine, but no hookups. Still a damn blast. Will be there again tomorrow. Good luck.

Caught him about 8 pm. You can get them all day long sometimes, generally evenings and early mornings are when they will bite arties the best. I like to treat the beach like a flat, I like high water the best, incoming or outgoing but somewhere around the peak of high tide; that gets the bait all pinned up close to shore in the deeper areas of the trough along the beach. This time of year there are always snook somewhere along the beach, but finding massive congregations of bait will get the best results, otherwise you will be taking chances getting lucky and running into one. Went along the beach yesterday to get bait before going offshore and saw a lot of snook terrorizing the baits, saw one that went 35 lbs easy. They are definitely turning on as i saw a few guys hooked up in the fifteen minutes or so i was on the beach.

Been the last two days now, yesterday on the jetty and today on Dania/Hwd. beach. No takers except for a dink jack. Not as much bait concentrated. That being said, high tide is around 11am today- a little late for that morning bite. I like more water in the trough which makes them a little less spooky. A little wind this morning and a small bump on the water. Water is still pretty clear though. May hit it again this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by dtobias View Post
    Been the last two days now, yesterday on the jetty and today on Dania/Hwd. beach. No takers except for a dink jack. Not as much bait concentrated. That being said, high tide is around 11am today- a little late for that morning bite. I like more water in the trough which makes them a little less spooky. A little wind this morning and a small bump on the water. Water is still pretty clear though. May hit it again this evening.
    let us know on your results.

Nice fish! Is that you Riggs? Tom said you got some good fish. Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast