Anyone eat shark and is it legal fish for them?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone eat shark and is it legal fish for them?

I hear nasty reports about ammonia smell in sharks. Do folks fish for them, are they legal to catch and keep.
    Do folks eat them?

Yeah , but all the tasty ones you can not keep any more , still legal to fish them , but no steaks

black tips are fairly good, check the FWC regulations different species have different regs.

Banned
    I don't keep them.

if you have ever even thought about swimming in the ocean or letting your kids do it....i wouldn't kill a shark...
    I am choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Cletus View Post
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.

We keep the occasional shark to eat. My favorite is bonnet head followed by black tip or spinner and once in awhile I will keep an Atlantic sharp nose. You can keep all of these but check your regulations as to the limit. I think it may be 2 but since I never keep more than one it is not something I keep up on. The most important thing is to gut them immediately. They do have a funky smell when you are preparing them but once you get rid of the skin and carcass the smell is gone. Sometimes I will put a little lemon juice on the meat before cooking. Grill it, fry it, bake it, etc...it's all good and the best part about shark is there is no bones!!

Sharks must be handled in the correct manner, they must be bled and gutted while still in the water..have enough ice on board to cover a legal size fish till in port,steak ,skin,soak over nite in salted water then rinsed..it will have no ammonia or fish aroma it will take on the flavor of any spice/herb/marinade you choose with the texture of tender pork.. i have served it many times to guest who were at a loss as to what kind of meat i grilled..
    DO THE ABOVE OR LET IT GO..
    larrywitt

Sharks do not have kidneys. they expel there liquid waste (ureic acid )through their skin. When you bleed them you get some of the acid out of the meat. You need to then soak the steaks in a base solution to draw out the acid (this is what smells like ammonia ) a saline solution will work. I've done the same with butter milk.

to bleed them is it better to cut the gills or the base of the tail? also do you gut them in the boat or once in port if you can cover them with ice?

how big of a bait do you guys use for 3-4 footers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast