Yankee Capts 6/30 to 7/1 quality pickings and great fun
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yankee Capts 6/30 to 7/1 quality pickings and great fun

At the last minute I decided to jump on the 2 day Yankee Capts trip. I did not have much time to go out and catch bait on my own but I did look for Gogs but couldnít find them so I loaded with white bait, small runners, and dork jacks. Nilson (rare) one of my fishing buddies gave me some more bait including some pinfish and so I went on my way to the Keys.

The boat left at 10pm on a hot night and to hot days to follow. We started fishing about an hour or more before sunrise. First day was slow pickings but some quality fish in 120 feet or so of water showed up which was a great start for some. The current in shallow water was great but as the captain moved to 200 and up it was insane. We were close to the edge of the Gulf Stream I tried up to 18 ounces and would not hold. The Captain did a few attempts on water close to this depth but the current was too much. We had to fish shallow and even in the shallow water the current picked up.

You all know what happens when you are that shallow in the summer, YELLOW TAIL ATTACK! Many switched to catching Flag Yellow Tails, but to those that kept pursuing the muttons and groupers it paid off. Some nice Red Goupers, Black Goupers, and one Scamp were caught. I did ok, I got 11 Muttons 4 of which were 5 to 8 pounds the rest were in the double digits one was 18 pounds and another was 16 pounds which made me glad. I know Jarvis, Dom, and Daniel got some 20 pounders as well as 2 or 3 other people. On the jigs I got 2 kings a keeper AJ and an Almaco that was used for bait. I finished my snapper limit with yellow Tails from 18 to 22 inches.

I tried to get some more pics but you all know what happens when you catch a fish, you just want to continue catching. Went to the back with Daniel to take a pic with his nice mutton but it was already iced up. On future trips it would be nice if some of you stop for a few second and snap a few shots too. Pictures look great when a fish has just been caught. Here are some of the pics for your enjoyment:

My 18 pounder
    DSC03663.jpg

My 16 pounder
    DSC03665.jpg

I lost two big fish because of hook failure; word to the wise if a deal on the flea market looks too good to be true it might as well be too good to be true. I paid 2 dollars for 200 hooks. These two cause me 2 quality fish lost.

DSC03676.jpg

A very nice red

DSC03667.jpg

Another quality mutton
    DSC03668.jpg

This boat came so close trolling one rod and it was only a couple of feet above the anchor line; I guess he wanted the GPS location.

DSC03669.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

Another quality mutton

DSC03673.jpg

Here is Bill with his Yellow tail

DSC03674.jpg

When the sunset came the Black Fins started to show and were all caught on bait, none came in with artificial. Also a Wahoo had shown up we threw everything at it but it was not interested.

DSC03675.jpg

Here is the NOAA field biologist doing his research.

DSC03680.jpg

This is this gentlemanís biggest mutton to date, he wanted a pic with the fish on Yankee Capts location so here it is, congrats on your nice catch!

DSC03683.jpg

Others may add to this report if they wish and a few more pics in here would be nice to see. Until next time!

Here is one more pic:

Very nice quality and great pics. The conditions look beautiful, it couldn't be any calmer. As far as stopping to take pics, I tell myself that every time I go. I just can't seem to make it actually happen. I always have a camera in my pocket the entire tip and only take one of two pics the whole time. I have zero will power when the fish are biting! Thanks for the report.

Thanks Jake. It looked beautiful but since there was no breeze it was hot as heck just wish the current wouldn't have been as bad. Taking pictures is the kind of easy part (when you remember you have a camera in your pocket), getting someone else to take a picture of you is the hard part.

Hey Cuda, great fishing with you man. Your pics came out great. You aren't lying man. It was hot out there with no wind. See you out there in the future.

Daniel

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years
    Nice report and pictures...that heat was insane, the seas like a lake, crazy currents...but great company with a lot of laughs.
    Capt Bill

Nice work, Herb

As usual a pleasure having you on board!

Greg

Man, those are slob muttons as usual! I'm not used to reading YC reports and seeing those slick calm conditions!

Nice report and great pics....I know how hard it is to get someone to put their rod down to take a picture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast