Okuma Solterra reviews?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Okuma Solterra reviews?

Anyone ever use an Okuma Solterra levelwind?
    I've been looking at this reel for a while and want to see if anyone has reviews good or bad before i pull the trigger and buy.

https://www.okumafishing.com/product...reels/solterra
    2012 Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. "Tub2.0"
    2013 Hobie Outback a.k.a. "Fat Bottom Girl" <-For Sale!

I use the Solterra, but not the level winds. I use the high speed version. I use these for trolling for grouper/pelagics. best lever drag reels I've ever owned.
    What type of fishing do you plan to use it for?

I have been switching all my spinners to Okuma lately simply for their excellent durability. I used many Okuma levelwinds when I guided on the great lakes for salmon and trout with excellent results. Not the specific model you speak of but a testimonial as to their quality.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

I want a dedicated trolling setup for kingfish or live-lining for mahi and i'm keeping it light because i fish from a kayak. I usually make my jigging setup (daiwa bg30+shimano trevala) do double duty but its a pain to swap tackle often when i'm out there.

I do not use level wind reels when using braid. Or when I'm after big fish. For me they tend to bury the braid in the spoolunder heavy a heavy drag. I've have had the levelwinds break under a heavy load. Also I think the non-level wind comes whith the 6:1 ratio.

Agreed, this setup will be for 30# mono.

I ended up buying the Solterra SLR-10L. I was going to buy the 15L originally, but BassPro was out of that model. Costed $150, but spent less since i used up some membership points. I just thought it would be helpful to update this thread with a review in case anyone ever used the search function on this forum.

Specs:
    25oz, 5+1 bearings, 4.2:1 gearing, capacity is 20/380 or 25/280, strike drag 15# and max drag is 22#.
    Usage:
    I loaded it up with maybe 260 yards of 25# mono and added another 10 yards of 40# wind on leader ending in livebait hook. Paired the reel with a heavy 6'6" Trevala rod I had at home.
    Impressions:
    The reel is a sturdy looking unit and at 25oz was just perfect for kayak fishing duty. Lever drag is smooth and level wind worked fine, however I will say that there is a bit of play in the level wind arm that I am sure will be the Achilles heel in a few years. I attached a picture of one of the bonito I caught yesterday which has the reel in the background. The reel performed pretty well and I think it will do just fine for my frequency of use (once or twice a month); but I'm sure anglers who fish more frequently (and want something tough that they can service themselves) will probably pass on this reel.

Those reels are very easy to work on. I take my apart 1/year. Spray some lube in and around the gears, a little grease and it's good for another year. I have 3 my oldest one is 3 years old. It has taken some hard abuse by trolling for grouper with Bomber cd-30's at 4-6 knots. That puts a lot of pressure on the reel and the drags when they hit. Drags still work great. . Trolling surface lures is even easier on reels.

Bringing this thread back from the freezer for another update.

I dropped the reel overboard 2 weeks ago and it took a tumble in the surf before it was reclaimed. By the time I took it to Captain Harry’s it had seized up and the store told me they do not repair Okuma reels. I am in the process of sending the reel to Okuma directly (California) for repair.

There seems to be a shortage of certified Okuma service centers in south Florida. Unfortunately this has already shaded my reel purchasing decisions and I have bought a Penn Squall as my new primary trolling reel.

Man, you should have called me. I would have got you squared away. If you haven't put line on the reel yet let me know. I can probably save you quite a bit of money on a brand new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast