Sailfish at Pompano 6/28

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sailfish at Pompano 6/28

Started the morning early and launched with Chris (frankthetank) around 6 am from Pompano Beach. We were greeted by decent size waves breaking right on the beach. So we timed our launch and got a little wet as we passed through them, luckily without rolling.

On our way out Chris was trolling some type of small plug and hooked up to a little grunt about 4 inches long in 30 ft. He didn't have a pole setup to troll it, so he handed it to me and I tossed it out. The setup I had rigged was a pink skirt covering the main hook with a stinger attached to it. We continued out while Chris was giving me a hard time about not catching anything the last few trips, then zzzzzing! In 100 ft I hooked into my first sail! Of course the pole he hit had some old 15lb mono on it and I was sure it was going to snap. I stayed patient and kept my drag turned down. The sail had its mind made up that he was headed for Bimini and took us to deeper water. After a 30 minute fight and several jumps and dives I landed him in 400 feet, almost a mile from where I hooked up.

After the release we worked hard against the 3+ knot north current and big over head high swell to get back south. Made a few drops and snagged a few big bonito before wearing out from the current. We headed in and were greeted with the biggest surf I have ever been in. 8 ft waves were breaking 1/3-1/2 mile from shore by the mooring buoys which never happens at Pompano unless there is a storm. So we had to zigzag to avoid those. As we neared the beach surfers where everywhere surfing head high waves. The waves were huge now that it was low tide. I looked for an eddy and waited for a chance to come in. I got in far enough to jump out and was planning on walking my kayak in until a head high wave broke right behind me. I couldn't hold on to the the yak, but some how it didn't roll and was pushed up onto the beach. I swam in and was happy to be back on shore! Chris didn't get so lucky :(

Thanks Chris for the lucky bait and help getting the sail in the yak for a quick photo!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340913121.714807.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	37986

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340913164.768094.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	37987

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340913184.997825.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	37988

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340913211.288851.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	37989

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340913228.928365.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	37990

Those are great shots. Seas gave you quite the workout, huh? Were you jigging for the bonito or what? Beautiful sail. Can't wait to hook one myself.

Ya the seas were not bad early in the morning, but increased as the day went on. The current is really what kicked our butt. We were vertical jigging when we caught the bonito's.

Congrats on the sail on just 15 lb test. For future unexpected surf events, consider paddling in backwards. You brace as each wave crashes over your bow, then paddle back some more until you get in far enough to jump out. I usually end up just surfing up to the beach, been lucky so far. Either way, your reels usually get soaked though.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info

Nice sail. congratulations. Good luck tomorrow.

Nice sail!!!!! I was starting to feel bad about not making it out with you guys until I heard about the perfect storm. We are going to have to find some inshore fishing spots for days like this.

Great report and nice sail.

Way to go brother. Congrats on your sail! Those were some killer breakers yesterday...we had our fun with em too!

That must of been a fun ride getting towed around by that sail... Nice catch guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Livinthedream View Post
    Ya the seas were not bad early in the morning, but increased as the day went on. The current is really what kicked our butt. We were vertical jigging when we caught the bonito's.
    Salty sack and i went out around 5pm, the surf was insane. we had a little crowd of people just waiting for us to flip. somehow we made it in one piece. nice catch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast