Trout Bite And Brown Pants

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Capt. Tyler Vollmer's Avatar

Trout Bite And Brown Pants

Thanks to Debby, I've been going a tad bit crazy just staring at the computer screen and listening to the weatherman say stay off the water so I figured I'd give a report and a story. Topwater has been off and on this month. The more overcast, the more strikes I've seem to be having. Skitterwalks and Chugbugs have been the hot ticket for big trout and redfish for me on the days when they're hitting. Other days it seems I might as well have brought the kitchen sink. On those days I quickly switch up to jerkbaits. Find broken grassbeds that mix with small potholes or larger potholes. Pay attention to the bigger ones as I've been seeing trout stacked in the in numbers that would make a school of redfish jealous. No joke! One school of trout easily had 100 fish sitting over a pothole. All overslot fish too so my clients that like to keep fish have only been able to take home 2 fish. (I don't let them take my limit) Look for large schools of mullet to cast in, around, on top, it doesn't matter. Smaller redfish have been swimming with them and the BIG trout are sticking just to the outside of them.

Kayakers/Waders BEWARE: On on of the flats that I've been fishing, I counted 13 alligators. Most were between 6'-10'. I usually know there whereabouts if I'm fishing near them but it seemed as if I missed one. While drifting a flat, not paying attention, the back of my skiff hit the back of one of the bigger ones causing the boat to tilt and bounce. I've got a good sense of balance on my platform but when your surprised like that and see a gator swimming from underneath your boat, it takes you back a bit... Brown pants.

Here's the guy that made me duke myself.

One last thing. My good friend Austin (fish4reds) needs our help. The power of the fishing community is amazing and with a small pitch-in, this beautiful little girl will get the proper education that she deserves! The raffles alone are worth the trip over. One lucky winner will be able to fish with me for a half day!
    www.helpemilynow.org

Great trout and wild story about the gators
    Also thanks for sharing info on that tournament, just read the site and I hope it has a huge turnout for Emily. I'll be there and see if I can bring some others with me

I'm registered for Emily's tourney also... great cause... I encourage all east central yakers to sign up and make this an event to remember.

great catch!!

Not a kayaker, but donation sent. Good luck to Emily and her family

Great report. I don't like them either. They have come way to close to me when I am sitting down in the Gheenoe. Sorry about the brown pants.

Senior Member Capt. Tyler Vollmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by will's dad View Post
    Not a kayaker, but donation sent. Good luck to Emily and her family
    You da man!!!

Ha!...Gators... Try a lttle duck hunting in east central Florida if you want "up close and Personal" with them.......Being in the water with them in the dark really adds so much more to the experience!

As for Emily....my heart breaks for her and the family...This is a very worthwhile cause....if I'm not up in MD (daughters baby is due then)...I'll be there with the yak.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Thanks for posting the website and tourney flyer up Tyler!!! And thank you all for the kind words and especially for those that have registered and donated!!!
    Austin
    www.HelpEmilyNow.org
    Hobie PA 14 dune
    Hook 1 Pro Staff - Tailin' Toads Pro Staff

Donation sent.... Joe good luck in the yak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast