Apalachicola Flathead Catfishing

Florida Sportsman

Apalachicola Flathead Catfishing

We fished the June 29th Florida Catfish tournament and did really well, I made the decision to fish some places I would normally never fish but I had a feeling this time of the year it would pay off and it did. The tournament started at 4pm and went around the clock until 12 noon the next day, "talk about some tired fisherman". There is no team play each fisherman on the boat must weigh in their fish individually

Once the tournament started we made the long run to the honey hole and right off the bat began catching began catching fish, after about 10 fish and none over 30lbs we decided to roll the dice and make another long run to a possible big fish hole to get some tournament contenders. This tournament is a big fish tournament 1-5th biggest fish then there is a $250 prize for the most poundage. Well after the run we started fishing with no luck we fished our butts off with no bites, then at 4am we realized we made a big mistake and did not have the gas to get back to the area we was catching fish in. All of our fish was caught in a 50 yard stretch we had around 140lbs of Flatheads our biggest was 27.9lbs we also had a 22.8, 19.9, 17.5, 15.4, 12.5, 10.5, 9.5, 3.5, 2.5 we caught all of our fish in about 3 hours then after making the run nothing "big mistake" we left them biting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6032.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	39288

Unfortunately this is a invasive fish in Florida and the state makes us kill them so all these fish had to die, I know its sad But there is no shortage of them in our rivers, but we do have a shortage of other fish since the arrival of Flatheads. The Apalachicola redbreast sunfish is all but extinct now. There is also no commercial sale of flathead catfish allowed in Florida. Here are the results for the tournament

1st: Blake Shuler - 35.03 lbs
    2nd: Henry Hamlin - 34.16 lbs
    3rd: Blake Shuler - 33.31 lbs
    4th: Gary Brown - 30.53 lbs
    5th: Blake Shuler - 29.78 lbs

Total Most Pounds Blake Shuler 125.48 lbs, Black shuler is 12 years old and had a extremely good night earning $1850 dollars for one night of work

Better luck next time for us.

Can they be eaten for consumption? If so I got the beer you got the fish lets eat

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

they sure can bud they are the best
    I took half of the fish and got 6 ziplock bags my buddy probably got about the same
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6067.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	39292