Stacked hair slider SBS.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stacked hair slider SBS.

Cuz somebody asked real nice.

Materials:
    Varivas 991-ST in 1/0 or equivalent X-long shank.
    Schlappen - Your choice of colors
    1/4" bunny or magnum bunny, again, your choice in colors.
    Master bright dubbing - Your choice of colors
    Maribou blood quill - Your choice of colors
    Deer Belly hair - extra select in your choice of colors.
    130 denier GSP thread

Start by palmering a single schlappen hackle at the back of your hook, just before the bend. Create a base wrap for your thread that extends to, but not beyond, where you plan on starting the collar for your belly hair.

Tie in your bunny right on top of the schlappen hackle you just palmered. Cinch everything down tight, remember you're going to be pushing on this thing pretty hard in a minute. Head cement, or any acrylic of some kind would be a good idea (I use CCG hydro)

Next we're going to stuff a liberal amount of Master Bright dubbing into a dubbing loop, and palmering 3-4 wraps forward with that. Pick it out when you're finished.

Now that we're starting to get a little bulk, we want to create a collar that will be soft enough to deflect a double edged razor. Firm collars, like those made by neck hackles, make trimming next to impossible.

Now for the fun part. The collar is the most important step in creating a stacked head. You're going to be using about 4 times more deer hair than what your instincts tell you is required.

One of three stacks for the collar.

When tying in your collar have the tapered ends of your hair pointing back, and try to match them up with the ends of your schlappen hackles. Tie your stack in, but don't cinch it down yet. You're not done.

Since you didn't cinch down your hair, you have enough of a gap to add another couple stacks. So do it.

Once you have all your stacks in, hold the sides down and cinch it up to flare it out. Gently start pulling your hair back and push it back hard with a pusher of some kind. (brassie, griffin, or bic pen, doesn't matter). Add a single stack to the bottom, and push it back. You're essentially going to repeat these steps until you run out of hook.

Now, the part you've been waiting for.

Take your double edged razor and make a single flat cut across the bottom of the fly. Try to make it a level cut, since this will be your reference point for the rest of your trimming.

You're going to rough in the rest of the profile with scissors, but if you got your deer hair tight enough, you're going to get to a point where your scissors become useless pretty quick. At this point you'll begin smoothing out the head with gentle cuts with the razor. What you're pulling off should be so fine it looks like powder.

Just keep going until your happy with what's on the vise. This takes practice, so have fun with it.

holy cow........
    I am choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Cletus View Post
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.

I was thinking a little Gibson palmered behind the collar........

You mean like an SG or Gold Top ? Just kidding, Great SBS, I saw what I was doing wrong when tyring to stack the deer hair, Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    You mean like an SG or Gold Top ? Just kidding, Great SBS, I saw what I was doing wrong when tyring to stack the deer hair, Thanks !

Get me a 1960 Les Paul custom (black on black) and I will find a way to incorporate it into the pattern. But you're not getting it back.

Here's a tip for those using them very sharp double edged blades... before using one take a small pair of nippers (diagonal pliers) and hold the razor in the middle on one end (right where the thumb is in that razor picture). Bend the blade back and forth once or twice until it cracks, then do the same to the other side. When you're done you'll have two edges that are fairly safe (but not totally) to handle. I do all my double edged blades in this manner before they're put into service. The moment one doesn't slice cleanly... toss it away and use a new one.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Best I can do is a '68 Custom, LOL, again, great SBS

Nice SBS. I've been working on stack vs spin. What are you doing to keep the bunches from spinning when you tighten the stack up?

thx

Just keep a little pressure on your stack with your thumb and forefinger on your left hand as you cinch your thread down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast