More clear line questions
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More clear line questions

Having read the pros and cons of Airflo vs Cortlands PE+ and Liquid Crystal I was wondering if anybody has had much experience with SA clear tips and any of the Monic clear lines for saltwater and how they compare with the others.
    I'm particularly looking at the 6 and 8wt lines for flats fishing for spooky trout and reds.

Thanks

I have been using the Monic lines for a few years and I have loved every cast of it. I currently have a 6 wt. bonefish FST line on my 6 wt. Got a 7 wt. redfish and a 10 wt. tarpon FST line coming. You would be amazed at the multiple shots you would get that you wouldn't get with colored line.

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2017 ?????? Coming Soon!!
    www.shadowcastcharters.com

I have a 12 wt FST and I'm still getting used to it. I favor the Wulff Btt lines however this generation of monic lines have solved the dreaded memory issues. I do not like the Cortland Clear lines at all. Too much memory and they are a pain to keep clean. I am considering another Monic for my 10 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by saltybum View Post
    Having read the pros and cons of Airflo vs Cortlands PE+ and Liquid Crystal I was wondering if anybody has had much experience with SA clear tips and any of the Monic clear lines for saltwater and how they compare with the others.
    I'm particularly looking at the 6 and 8wt lines for flats fishing for spooky trout and reds.

Thanks

Bob, if you care to stop by the house at some point this week I have the SA mastery textured clear tip, ridge tropical clear tip, and cortland liquid in 7wt. Check them out and see what you think.

Thanks for the input everyone. My Cortland PE+ is the reason for this inquiry. Biggest PIA I have ever fished. Even over baitcaster birdnests.
    Bill, thanks for the offer. I don't care what anybody says, you are a good man! Tomorrow is full but Friday or Sat I would like to get with you. I'll call you first.

I don't care what anybody says

Neither do I. And btw, the cortland liquid is a totally different animal from the crystal PE+.

Thanks for the input everyone. My Cortland PE+ is the reason for this inquiry. Biggest PIA I have ever fished. Even over baitcaster birdnests.
    Bill, thanks for the offer. I don't care what anybody says, you are a good man! Tomorrow is full but Friday or Sat I would like to get with you. I'll call you first.
    I really hate to say this, since Cortland and I go back so many years and they're a great company. But IMO they have always had a problem with their fly lines, especially the floaters. Look at them wrong and they crack....and then sink. Even in fresh water. Cold water, you name it. And it had been the same for over 20 years when I finally gave up on them in the mid-90's.

That said, I just remembered that I have some Hi-D shooting heads that have fared fairly well, but that's a whole different ballgame.

I was hoping some had better luck with their clear lines, but I guess not.

Cortland Little Tunny is one of my favorite lines - can be hard to find though. I upline by one weight; the little tunny 8wt on a BVK 7wt rod is my favorite setup.

Banned
    [QUOTE=saltybum;650771]Having read the pros and cons of Airflo vs Cortlands PE+ and Liquid Crystal I was wondering if anybody has had much experience with SA clear tips and any of the Monic clear lines for saltwater and how they compare with the others.

Sunday I was giving a casting lesson to a fellow who is going on our anual Mexico trip, So I decided I would take one of my Sage xi3 , 12 wt rods and play with the new Cortland liquid clear lines after the lesson was finished. Well I always loved the way the Old Cortland line cast and performed for me, I have to say this new Cortland clear line even out performs the old line, It shoots line great, it roll casts great and I don't know what else you could want in a fly line? I was casting real big Crease flies and the Cortland short front taper really turns it over nice , lets the fly lay out and land nicly. Great line, my 2 cents.
    PS I know you said small lines, however thats all I got.

Carl Blackledge

Thanks for the replys.
    Went to ODC's house and tried out the the Cortland Liquid in his backyard. Very nice. Nothing at all like the PE+. Also caught my first largemouth on fly while test casting it.
    Thanks Bill. Email me the pictures when youget the chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast