Rio Saltwater Tropical F/I ??????
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Rio Saltwater Tropical F/I ??????

Anyone have experience with Rio Saltwater Tropical F/I clear sink tip? Looking to put something different on one of my reels. Want to use it for fishing a little deeper for snook. I also do a lot of blind casting. Recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It's my go to line for tarpon. I've been using it for several years and am pretty happy with it. Another line you might consider is the Rio Tropical Outbound Short. You don't hear much about this line but it has a clear intermediate sink tip and casts well. In fact, I was able to add some decent distance to my casts with it.

Staz... you might want to consider a full intermediate instead of a sink tip and I can recommend the Rio in that configuration - particularly since you say you do a fair amount of blind casting... The full intermediate allows you to work almost the entire water column, less the surface (and I can even work it there if I start working the line the moment it touches the water. I have all of my heavier rods set up primarily with intermediates
    (10wt on up) and can count them down to work as deep as 7 to 10 feet of water or any shallower depth by just starting stripping a bit sooner instead of counting it down. The downside of a full intermediate is that you have to strip it almost all the way in before you can pick it up and make another cast... The downside of an intermediate tipped floating line is that it never sinks the fly very deeply (or quickly) and when you start stripping the fly rides up since the floating portion causes the intermediate tip to rise as you strip the fly...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

It is a great line. I have also recently fished the Rio Outbound Short tropical F/I and love that line on my faster rods. Awesome for making quick casts to cruising fish.

F/I lines have their application. Agree with Mr. LeMay that the full intermediate is a better suited for multiple situations.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking the F/I line would keep the fly pretty high in the water column once line is stripped. Ill have to give the full intermediate a try.