Flamingo fishing report, 23 June

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flamingo fishing report, 23 June

Lots of rain and some wind this past week kept most off of the water. During the week we were the only boat on the water with rare exception along the Gulf coast of the Everglades. My anglers caught and released snook, redfish, trout, mackeral, cobia, flounder (and lots of other species including the usual sharks, etc).

At the moment the tarpon are pretty scarce where we've been along the coast. I think when the weather sorts itself out later this coming week they'll put on a stronger showing. We've been getting some very nice bites from snook on lures this week... here's a few pics of one that measured just over 28"
    [img][img]

[img][img]

Although we got bites on plugs, and other lures the Gulp tailed jigheads were just the ticket...

A few minutes after this snook, local angler Jack Friedrich, scored a very nice flounder nearby on the same lure the snook liked...
    [img][img]

All were carefully released to fight another day. Normally this time of year live baits (ladyfish mostly) are just the ticket for really big snook, grouper, and other species. This past week almost every live bait was attacked in just a few minutes by very hungry sharks in the seven to eight foot range. The bites came so quickly that nothing else even had a chance at a meal.... It wasn't unusual to have double headers of sharks in the 100 to 150lb size range... We finally made the switch back to lures to get away from them. Here's a picture of one lemon that young angler Jacob Kashuk fought to the boat on a mono leader... it was every bit of seven feet long....
    [img][img]
    Note the second dorsal fin - that's the key indentifier for lemon sharks since they range in color from a yellow brown all the to the gray color of this one...

Although it was only day trips to the Everglades this week, we're finally in the time of year when night trips for small (and not so small) tarpon are a great option. We get on the water just before dark at a ramp on Miami Beach and are only five minutes from world class sightfishing for tarpon and snook under bridges and around docklights. I have to shout out to Sportfishing magazine for the article in their current issue that highlights that scene. The author Mike Mazur did a great job of highlighting the Miami portion of the night scene and my small part in it. Great article for anyone thinking about a night trip! (and for that first tarpon on fly...)
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Gotta remember to get some of those gulp tails to put on my jigs!

Great pics and report Bob.

Great report, thanks

How heavy a leader were you using Captain? (for those snook)

For 10lb line a 30lb leader, for 12lb line a 40lb leader, etc.... All casting rigs are set up the same way, first double the line for three feet, then attach a 2' leader, knot to knot, never a swivel... and you're ready to go. For years and years all my leaders were just Ande premium clear mono in whatever size was needed. In recent years they're all Fluoro (also by Ande, it's the best buy I've found in fluorocarbon...).

Use too light a leader and you'll get shredded, use too heavy a leader and your lure won't look right (no bites). If I suspect that we're in such clear, shallow conditions that our leaders are too heavy, I'll go lighter than the above guidelines. First get that bite... the rest will follow that...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Hey Bob, glad to see some are braving the weather. How is the drive down? Construction a real slow down in the park? Like the snook!
    Dave

The only tough part about the trip down to Flamingo is that terrible old road in the Park.... The good news is that the slow speed signs are gone, the bad news is that they've done some repair patches and are doing more (some fifty to almost one hundred feet long) on the lane you use driving out of the Park. I sure hope they're not finished since the patches are very rough. That whole road from the front gate down to Flamingo has been in poor condition for all the years I've been driving it (and it's even worse when there's heavy rain). I guess I shouldn't complain too much - at least the gate's open.... With all the money our government has spent in the last three years it sure would have been nice if a bit of it had been used to re-do that road.... Guess Flamingo just isn't a priority.....

November, it just can't some soon enough.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Well done!!!
    Kris.

nice report

Thanks for the reply Capt. LeMay....hope to get down that way myself in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast