Beach Sharkin Double Header5/18

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Beach Sharkin Double Header 6/18

The night was fading slowly when I decided to call two friends, Drew and Mark. Plan was to rendevouz at the beach at 10pm and catch the last few hours of the incoming tide. I loaded my SUV with my Penn 133lh (4/0 Wide) and 50TW international. Both loaded with powerpro.
    Upon set-up, a blue -streaked meteor flew by and knew it was time to paddle out the spread. I paddled the 50tw and 4/0 out while Drew paddled his Senator 6/0 out. We had a few smaller runs and landed a 7ft Nurse shark and were debating on whether to stay.

We decided to paddle two more baits out on the 4/0 and 6/0.This is where things get interesting. At the end of the incoming the 4/0 starts to run at a fast steady rate. I get to the rod drop the tip, engage strike, and hold on. The T-head takes long and violent 400 yard runs for just under an hr. At this point in the battle Drew's 6/0 starts screaming. He gets to his rod and gets down to business and game on for him! We are both back to back fighting our sharks for about 30 minutes. Mark who we can't thank enough manned the remaining 3 rods as they were going off!
    After that melee it was time to land, measure, photograph, and release our double trouble. 8’9 Greater Hammerhead and 9’0 Lemon Shark

Bait: Assorted Carcasses.
    Line:80lb Power Pro Hi Vis
    Leader:10ft 500lb mono-#19 AFW Wire
    Depth of drop:8ft
    Turbidity:Tanqueray gin clear
    Other notes: Sand flea hatch, sporadic pompano, lots of eagle rays, clear night, east winds 10knts
    Bite turned on late and end of incoming... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eddie Hammerhead-lemon 100.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	36944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	36945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eddie Hammerhead-lemon 098.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	36946
    Last edited by Shore Catch Fishing; 09-26-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Wow, nice catch. I don't have those kind of huevos. Are you guys fishing Bonita, Captiva or Charlotte/Sarasota county? I'm not going to let my kids go swimming anymore.

Fantastic report man! I love all the details haha. That hammerhead is a beast!

I am gonna try to hit up Sanibel beach tomorrow night for some sharks as long as the weather is holding out for me. I'll be dropping a couple carcasses, ladyfish and mackeral down so hopefully I get on a good bite. I'll be using a few 4/0's and 6/0's as well, but theyre spooled with mono. I use lighter guage coated cable leaders though instead of single-strand wire and usually have them about 5-6ft in length. That set-up always does well for me, but I would love to see how you set up your braid/heavy mono/wire leader. And one last question, how do you chum for those sharks off the beach? I've never worked out a good way to do it.

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised

Nice Hammer and Lemon! too bad can't keep either of them...both great table fair.....Oh well, still great fun

Your crazy as a sprayed roach! you guys are braver than I am, especially at night. no way!! Good Job though

North Lee County. Ahab no need to chum if they're already there. They will pick up the scent of your baits just fine. People chumming off the beach is giving land based sharkers a bad name. Just google the story. Total b.s. Ill send you a photo of my rigs later tonight. Just remember be an ambassador for the sport, inform the public, and leave the beach as you found it. Good luck, hope this low doesn't foil your plans.

No chumming needed, got it. I will definitly google it tho and see what I find. But cool man I'll be looking for that message. Ill post my report after I fish tomorrow night. And thanks for the advice in your last few lines.

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised

don't drink and fish.

Nice job guys. Gonna be going soon. Gotta re-spool my 9/0. Thats $180 lol

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Wow those are some beasts. Cool to see them head to head in the photo shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast