Reel Bags

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Bags

Reel Bags

I am looking for reel bags, in which to individually store several fly reels, both on and off rods. Cases in point:

An Emery reel came with a canvas drawstring bag. Totally incapable of shielding the reel from weather or occasional boat rash.

The Catino reels came with nothing. (at least mine didn't)

Even the old Fin Nors (wedding cakes) did not have bags suitable for taking on a boat. The zippers melted in salt air. Mine are useless and have been for decades.

To date, by far my favorite reel bag is Abel's. They are made of a quilted nylon that will keep out salt spray, as well as protect against the normal bumps and overall abrasion of rod rack storage. There are NO zippers....the velcro patches close nicely over the bag, with the reel on a rod or off. OH....Penn International fly reels come in this kind of bag also.

I have been researching and to date found nothing. Metal zippered leather bags is as close as I can get. Needless to say, no way.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Soon I'll be contacting Abel directly, but I do not want to put much faith in that.
    Last edited by Permit Rat; 06-20-2012 at 07:18 PM.

The BVK Super Large Arbor reels come with that type of bag Very Nice! I'm not sure if they sell them seperatly? SA I think? used to sell one similar but I can no longer find it listed.

Thank-you Lee.....I will look them up and if necessary, contact them for the name of the company that makes the bag. Do you know if they make a smaller reel also? I need at least 2 large bags, but also need at least 3 for mid-sized reels (7-9 wt.)

EDIT: I just looked.....They might have a large bag but nothing really for the mid-range. Thanks.
    Last edited by Permit Rat; 06-20-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Permit,

I'd be reluctant to store reels in my neoprene pouches long term without first throwing the pouches in with the laundry and drying them- which I do ocassionally anyhow.

They are great for protection during transport and easy and fast to slip on and off when fishing from a boat.

Both of my Ross covers have holes in the bottom to let water out as does a blue Nautilus one. A black and red Nautilus one, on the other hand, is nearly waterproof, and two Tibor ones I have have are sealed along the perimeter stitching and only weep a slight amount of water where the velcro is sewed on. The Colton ones let water through quickly.

I only learned this a couple minutes ago because I checked them in the kitchen sink after reading the posts.

But, regardless, waterproof or not, it all comes out in the wash.

Cheers,
    Jim

Hmmmm.......Those Troutlet bags don't look half bad. Price is right too.I didn't mention neoprene, I guess because my experience with them to date has not been all that good. I have a Fin Nor neoprene bag with velcro tabs in 2 positions (reel off and on a rod) but the flap is not long enough for "on the rod." Then I have a (I guess) White River bag from Bass Pro that goes over a Gold Cup reel. The bag is way too small and it looks more like a scrotum sac than a fly reel. This one will never fit over a rod handle either.

I'm still going to contact Abel and see if they'll divulge the name of the company that makes their bags. But I'm thinking the price for them is going to be more in the $35-$50 range. I need (potentially) 8 bags. ..... but 8 X $50 is a whole new fly reel!!!

Jim, these bags are not for storage. I would never do that and never should anyone else. You brought up a very good point, and I learned this the hard way, and with a #3 Wedding Cake.

For anyone new out there.....IMO, a reel bag should be used only on the day(s) that you are fishing. I now store my reels "display-style,".....they sit out in the open on a shelf. Then again, I live within a mile of the ocean. Maybe if you live in Montana, you could do this...but...maybe not.

When I went to store my Wedding Cakes, prior to my move to Missouri, I washed them carefully. The fly line was stripped off and they soaked in a sink full of luke warm water. Then I took them apart and re-greased them. (ha ha...they still work perfectly!) Finished and dry throughout, I put them back in their Fin Nor bags and into their original boxes.

10 years later and I broke them out for a trip to the Keys. The #3 reel that I had been using mostly for myself and that 10 years earlier looked darn close to brand new, now looked like the reel that I had given to my clients for more than 15 years. (no reel bags whatsoever, back in those days) I was heartbroken. Thankfully, the #2 fared much better. The problem?...I probably that I never washed the reel bags.

Point is that if you use a reel bag, you should get one that CAN be washed and dried and this should be done, before you store a reel between trips.
    Last edited by Permit Rat; 06-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Permit Rat. That is some great information you just posted.

Thanks for another "head up".
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Just looked at this site (maybe i'm missing something here, wouldn't be the first time), but they're listing them at $15 each, not $50.

http://www.abelreels.com/store/Nylon-Reel-Bags.html

Quote Originally Posted by Permit Rat View Post

...... a very good point, and I learned this the hard way, and with a #3 Wedding Cake.
    You aren't the only one, Permit. I had an Orvis in a pouch when in roaming mode and living in Phoenix years ago. I'd put it into a storage unit after returning from the Keys. The storage unit leaked/flooded unknown to me, and in one year, the reel corroded so badly I couldn't remove the spool from the frame. Parts of the spool was completely eaten through. I didn't even bother trying to salvage the line.

Since I live alone, I now "store" my reels all over the house, and store the pouches in a big pile next to the entry door.

Cheers,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast