Lee County Beach Snook Fishing
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lee County Beach Snook Fishing

I am a Fort Myers native and have fished my entire life here. I havnt been able to fish much over the last couple years though because of college. I just graduated from FGCU and have picked up my rods again.

What has the beach fishing been like for the snook so far this summer? Any big females being caught and on what? I used to catch big females on the beach in the early mornings using whitebait or cut ladyfish but I havnt done well so far this year in the 3 trips I have hit the beaches in the early mornings. I've caught a ton of ladyfish but the big schools of male snook I havnt seen and the big females I havnt seen either.

I've been throwing white bucktails and mirrodines mostly with a little big of skitterwalks when it's really calm but I havnt been seeing the schooling snook so I havnt brought my net to catch and use the whitebait running the beaches. Anyone have any tips for me?

I cant speak for the beaches but IMO we have winter like winds which cause a lot of disturbed water. I have had better luck looking for good quality clear water. The river still has good salinity. Congrats on the graduation.

We went this morning to bonita and the snook were spooky! they would not bite even though we saw maybe 30, most were 20-30 inches, we did catch some macks, lady fish and blue runner fishing bait schools. tons of bait on the beach.

Snook have been slow this week. I fish the river alot and have seen tons of them, its just getting them to bite. I will be going out tonight and trying fingers, jumbo shrimp and cut lady fish. Ill get back to you if I get anything.

Thanks for the input everyone. Keep it coming please!

I went out on Sunday morning to fort myers beach and caught 7 ladyfish on a mirrodine and a white bucktail jig, but I didn't see a single snook. I fished 2 spots on fmb from 6:45am-8:00am and just caught those ladyfish. I then moved to the jetties at big hickory pass and fished till 9:30 over there and didnt pull any fish out at all.

This morning I headed down to fmb again and started fishing at 6:45. My first spot had guys fishing already so I went to another good spot and started there. I brought my net and caught whitebait easily and used them to catch the 2 ladyfish and 1 15in flounder that I caught today. Fished there from 6:45-9:00 and then left. I also threw a white bucktail jig again but nothing hit it this time. No snook in sight.

Senior Member Shore Catch Fishing's Avatar
    The beaches see alot of traffic and pressure defintley making the Snook more alert. I do quite well in Bonita especially at night. If was specifically targetting beach Snook I would fish Sanibel.

Banned
    Try getting there earlier in the morning. I would get out around 5-5:30am because by 7 people start showing up to do the same thing your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Finfinder View Post
    I cant speak for the beaches but IMO we have winter like winds which cause a lot of disturbed water. I have had better luck looking for good quality clear water. The river still has good salinity. Congrats on the graduation.
    Seriously... Whats up with the winds? Usually it calms down in late may.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a kayak fisherman so these winds are killing me.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by binder077 View Post
    Try getting there earlier in the morning. I would get out around 5-5:30am because by 7 people start showing up to do the same thing your doing.
    I am fishing from foot. I don't have a boat, just a kayak. I should have clarified that earlier. But I get out there and start fishing at 6:45am because the sun is just then starting to poke up. Are you saying I should get out there earlier and fish, even though I'm on foot? May not hurt, just wondering..Ive never fished the beaches that early before while by foot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast