Caloosahatchee Hope

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caloosahatchee Hope

I am a big river fisherman always looking for clear sandy bottoms this time of year to find the big females. A week ago today last Sunday around 7 pm I witnessed one of the greatest sightings any Snook fisherman could dream to see.

I was with a friend in his '82 'lappy' when we saw the two schools. Each school had about 30-40 fish and they were all big. The first school we saw was more scattered and spread about the bottom but the next school, about 50 feet further down the shoreline and closer to the shore was different.

They were swimming frantically in a clockwise motion in a 15-20 ft diameter, oblong like shape. The smaller fish were on the outside of the school and bigger fish towards the middle all surrounding about a 50lb river monster.. by far one of 3 biggest Snook I've seen in 15 years of fishing the river.

A remarkable witness of a healthy school of snook spawning in the river. One sight I won't ever forget.

No fish were landed after seeing all these fish, they werent interested in our baits. It's as if there was a sexy female or 2 or 20 to impress. :

While it was a great thing to see, it is proof that the closed seasons since the freeze has helped. However the number of fish sighted and caught this year is still no where near what it was in 2009. Which goes to show that the season should stay closed for at least 1 more year and I would dare argue for 2 or 3 more years.

EAT MORE TILAPIA!!!

Getting to see sights in nature like this are sometimes more memorable than a good day fishing. Thanks for sharing.

thanks for sharing, I know how you feel last night, me and a buddy caught 5 snook behind my house in like 3 hours between 22- 27 inchs, but we saw 2 that were well over 40, at first we thought they were tarpon but they ended up being snook.

Quote Originally Posted by Centropomidae View Post
    While it was a great thing to see, it is proof that the closed seasons since the freeze has helped. However the number of fish sighted and caught this year is still no where near what it was in 2009. Which goes to show that the season should stay closed for at least 1 more year and I would dare argue for 2 or 3 more years.
    I agree keep it closed at least one more year. But unfortunately were probably in the minority and rumor is there gonna open it.

Steve

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Centropomidae View Post

EAT MORE TILAPIA!!!
    I would respectfully disagree with you. The last stock assessment shows that the amount of fish harvested by anglers taking home snook is fairly minimal from a statistical standpoint. Additionally, it is only slightly higher than the number of snook "harvested" by catch and release anglers due to release mortality. That is why staff indicated that a closure would not likely have much impact. However, the commissioners listened to the many catch and release proponents and closed it out of an abundance of caution.

Now, staff has the 2012 stock assessment and has concluded that the season should be opened. Further, according to the data, the snook hit hardest by the cold are not the present slot fish. I also think it is very difficult to conclude that what you witnessed had any relation to the fact that its been closed.

Lastly, and I say this respectfully, if, in fact, the fish you observed were actively spawning, why would you throw baits at them and potentially disrupt this important behavior?

I seriously doubt they will open it up this year. Every "tv show" captain like Rick Murphy is in their ear saying to keep it closed in the gulf for at least one more year. Not saying that they have to listen to Rick but he is pretty chummy with the FWC. I personally have caught more snook over the past year then in the couple years before the freeze.

Regardless of whether or not catch and release fishing harms the individual fish itself, the fact that anglers will be able to legally keep and kill a snook will directly affect the population. You can close seasons and tighten regulations but you can't go out and tell someone to stop fishing for a certain species. That is my side of the argument.

Tilapia really isn't bad with some lime and Everglades !!

Quote Originally Posted by mannn123 View Post
    I would respectfully disagree with you. The last stock assessment shows that the amount of fish harvested by anglers taking home snook is fairly minimal from a statistical standpoint. Additionally, it is only slightly higher than the number of snook "harvested" by catch and release anglers due to release mortality. That is why staff indicated that a closure would not likely have much impact. However, the commissioners listened to the many catch and release proponents and closed it out of an abundance of caution.

Now, staff has the 2012 stock assessment and has concluded that the season should be opened. Further, according to the data, the snook hit hardest by the cold are not the present slot fish. I also think it is very difficult to conclude that what you witnessed had any relation to the fact that its been closed.

Lastly, and I say this respectfully, if, in fact, the fish you observed were actively spawning, why would you throw baits at them and potentially disrupt this important behavior?
    I agree 100%!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binder077 View Post
    I seriously doubt they will open it up this year. Every "tv show" captain like Rick Murphy is in their ear saying to keep it closed in the gulf for at least one more year. Not saying that they have to listen to Rick but he is pretty chummy with the FWC. I personally have caught more snook over the past year then in the couple years before the freeze.
    I didn't realize people took that man seriously. Lol

I have been catching quite a few snook lately, but I see more then I catch and it could go either way with me for the season opening. I like redfish just as much as snook (taste wise) and would be more inclined to let the snook go even if it were open season. There are alot of snook in the river and I would love to see them spawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast