Miami Offshore 6/9 & Night Reef 6/13

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miami Offshore 6/9 & Night Reef 6/13

Went out last Saturday to find some tuna and mahi. Due to a late start, tuna was scratched off the list. Bait was slow so I decided to pay a few bucks and get the smallest pilchards ive ever seen to date. Started running and gunning....kept running...gps decided to turn off for a while...kept running (by this point not sure how far out we were, but was pretty far) Finally saw a small weedline and saw a boat working it about .5 mile north, so i started to troll it slightly south of him and within 5 minutes my homemade daisy chain lure gets hit and we're on. That cow brought 2 more with her and we had 3 in the boat...skunk is off! Put out the lines and start our troll again on the small weedline...same lure gets hit again, the difference is that this dolphin brought the whole family. For the next hour it was on...like well oiled machines we went to work. Throwing live pilchards and cut squid...at one point we were almost out of bait and were throwing out penny-sized squid pcs and they would demolish it lol. We thought we had about 20-25 so we called another boat over and let them finish off the rest of the school, probably another 15 mahi. When it was time to fillet, we counted...i guess our initial guesstimate was off b/c we boated 36...all schoolies, but good eating. Seas were flat that day, couldve taken a flats boat to Bimini.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mahi.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	35768

Yesterday (wednesday) we decided to do a night reef trip (different crew and boat). Nothing was biting at bug so once we boated 6 baits (all different lol) we took off and headed south. It was still daylight and we saw a couple frigates circling in about 100ft of water...happen to have 2 lures I forgot about in a bag of mine so we threw them on, before you know it, fish on. I knew it was a tuna and good size...after a few minutes we boated the fish, unfortunately it was a bonita. We kept for the bottom. Finally get to the first spot as the sun is disappearing. Right off the bat on my first drop with fresh bonita chunk, mutton on! Current was slow and so was fishing for the next 30 min. Then current picked up and we boated a few YTs and 3 triggers (lost another 2 close to the boat, they were all hooked on jigheads) Then the current died completely and so did the fishing...decided to come in early since we all had work. Final tally was 6 YTs, 3 Triggers, 1 mutton, 1 bonita (remembered to take a picture after filleting a couple fish)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_3new.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	35770

I LOVE trigger it so damn tasty.

Nice work out there!

Yea... real nice work... WITHOUT ME!!! JERK

trigger is awesome, just need a GOOD fillet knife lol....DanMontz, the call was made to join in on the mahi slaying but you chose to prance around on a softball field...

Thanks for the report. Two good days on the water. The triggers are worthy the work.... I now take a rod rigged for triggers everytime I go to the reef.

How do you rig for triggers? Super small gold hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by ZimmerNole View Post
    How do you rig for triggers? Super small gold hooks?
    To be honest, i never really target...ive caught them free lining live bait while anchored, yesterday we caught them with jigheads...they seem to eat about anything lol. We also caught one on the bottom with a bonita chunk and 5/0 hook.....so anywhere from a jighead to a 5/0 hook with a piece of meat and you should be good! lol

Chiliando - yeah, i always look out for them now...my buddy was like, "you wanna toss it back?" I was about to slap him lol

Well you wouldn't have had a problem filleting the Triggers if I WAS ON BOARD WITH MY KNIFE!!

Nice job on the phins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danmanswag View Post
    trigger is awesome, just need a GOOD fillet knife lol....DanMontz, the call was made to join in on the mahi slaying but you chose to prance around on a softball field...
    Zingpow!

G G G G G G G Gottem! lol, that knife is pretty badass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast