Why you shluld NOT jump in the water!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why you shluld NOT jump in the water!

So I am one who will NOT jump in the water out in the blue water. Over a reef, or to go dive in 100- Ft of water sure but not blue water.... here is why!

and no I did not take this picture! But just image jumping in to get some great footage of your first marlin and you see this coming for you

Banned
    It wants the fish not you. My guess is the guy that took the pick survived, beacuse, um well, we have the pic...

The number of sharks per square mile within 3 miles of shore vs the number of sharks 3+ miles offshore is greatly different. Yes the further you get out (on avereage) they are larger but the chances of getting bit way out offshore is very slim.

I fish close to 100 days per year and have only seen a couple of makos, a few tigers and only one white tip (bahamas).

Near shore you have tons of bull sharks, hammerheads, and reef sharks. I had my encounter with a bull shark and it cost me almost 200 stitches in my thigh. I am still an avid scuba diver though.
    Its NOT the boat that catches the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Catcher View Post
    The number of sharks per square mile within 3 miles of shore vs the number of sharks 3+ miles offshore is greatly different. Yes the further you get out (on avereage) they are larger but the chances of getting bit way out offshore is very slim.

I fish close to 100 days per year and have only seen a couple of makos, a few tigers and only one white tip (bahamas).

Near shore you have tons of bull sharks, hammerheads, and reef sharks. I had my encounter with a bull shark and it cost me almost 200 stitches in my thigh. I am still an avid scuba diver though.
    Jason, I am not saying never go diving, I am saying that 'I' wont jump in the blue water any more. I have seen too many times a shark come from no where and all of a sudden there he is chewing on your lower unit.

that picture was taken in australia. IIRC, the photographer jumped in the water to capture a black marlin and out of nowhere the shark came and ate the marlin. there is a related video also. this was written up in Marlin Magazine.
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate

Quote Originally Posted by alacrity View Post
    that picture was taken in australia. IIRC, the photographer jumped in the water to capture a black marlin and out of nowhere the shark came and ate the marlin. there is a related video also. this was written up in Marlin Magazine.
    THANKS!! I was wondering where the origin of this image was!!

Great White Shark

Mako

That's a great photo.... but is not a thing like our local situation. Pretty nice to see them in clear water but the real concentration of sharks in south Florida is along the coast of the Everglades.

The sharks there (lemons, bulls, the occasional great hammerhead or tiger) are so thick that I'm pretty much disappointed if we're not bit in less than five minutes along almost any coast line we stop at if we're targetting sharks. You can just imagine what happens to a hooked fish there if you do anything other than land them as quickly as possible. The worst of it is that the water isn't nice and clear so you'll never see one coming. Anyone that swims along the Gulf coast of the 'Glades needs their head examined this time of year. Yesterday we had double hookups with critters in the seven to eight foot size range on more than one occasion while we were actually snook fishing in less than five feet of water....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

I've tried bluewater spearing in 800' along some weeds. It was quite daunting, but... I'd rather die in the jaws of a shark than in a ****ty crash on the 826...
    Lady Mitchell, Haulover

www.CaptainHeavy.com
    Instagram: @captheavy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast