Tues Eve - Wading Sarax Bay - Good sign of things to come for snook!

Florida Sportsman

Senior Member former bluefishinny's Avatar

Tues Eve - Wading Sarax Bay - Good sign of things to come for snook!

Got in the water last night earlier than usual..... As I thought it would be crowded because folks are off today..... Not a sole in sight.

Headed to my spot and was immediately rewarded with a nice little 24" inch snook that nailed a DOA Shrimp in Clear/Gold Flake.... A few casts later, got a smaller snook, around 14". At this point, it is pretty weedy, and tide is moving out pretty good (around 4:30)... Dead low at 8 and change. The action slowed up for a while.... About 6pm, I moved to a deeper edge as the tide was moving out fast.... Same bait, just Glo now.... I get situated and the action was insane for about another hour+. I got (approx, I did not count) about 12 more snook... Nothing huge, 3 were around 22 to 26ish, and rest were small.... From 12 to 16"! GREAT SIGHT TO SEE THOUGH! Fish were healthy healthy! There were some small trout mixed in as well..... (at this point, weeds were gone) I wanted a red bad, so I went to my confidence red bait, Cotte jig.... Put it on, and after dealing with some pesky ladyfish, I finally got that thump.... Game on.... Nice redfish, not huge, prob slot.... So at this point it is getting late, prob just before 8, and I wanted that "big snook" for a picture (as I had my cell out with me).... I changed leader (went from 20 to 30) and threw on a 1/2 ounce DOA Glo Shrimp and hit the edges (as they were very defined as water was pract gone)... I get a little thump, set hook and immediately felt the flounder fight (not much).... A few casts later, I see a nice pop... So I am reeling in the bait to get it there.. when I get popped on.... I quickly changed lure to a topwater spook.... Had some nice hits, nothing huge... It was getting pink (sky), so darkness was approaching... I haded back in tossing in whatever water was in between the flats....About 100 yards from the exit point, I get popped... Saw it was a red right away.... Cool fight, cool sight to see with the sun setting.... Great night, nothing huge... .But good action......

Approx 14 snook, 2 redfish, handful of smaller trout, and 1 flounder...

PS... No snook were harmed in making of this thread..... Handled with TLC and released with respect.

PSS... I moved to this area from SE Florida just over a year ago... I "stumbled" on this spot a year ago tomorrow.... This "spot" has produced more snook than any other species of fish since than..... All released, and all handled with care.

Thanks for the great report

1/2 of that would be a great day. This last past warm winter has really been great for the snook rebound.

Thanks! It was nice seeing all those smaller fish.... They were extremely healthy looking! Lets hope for another winter like the last one!

Back at it tonight! Day after full moon, I believe.... Took my buddy JP out there... Not nearly as productive as Tues eve.... We ended up with 5 snook, 2 were decent, around 26", and 3 were snooklets... I got into a mess of redfish, picked up 4 on 5 casts! Nothing huge, all around 14 to 18" ish.... Some smallish trout, and 1 small flounder.... All fish were on DOA Skrimps/Cottee Jigs/Mirrodines... Def beats sitting at home!!! Weekend is coming up..... I avoid the bay.. Back at it on Tuesday evening!

Gotta love it when you get 'em ALL on artificials.

what is a cotee jig, I see cotee jig heads for sale what kind of body for reds??

Uga:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images[4].jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	39600

Thank you very much, where I fish the gold spoons kills them but i will have to try theses, can you fish them in 1 ft of water or sight fishing or what, if your poling and see them would you throw this bait in real shallow water or in deeper water?

I fish it blind casting in "cuts" or on dropoffs

10-4 thanks