Mangroves and Kings 6-10-12

Florida Sportsman

Mangroves and Kings 6-10-12

I am a new off-shore guy. Normally spend my time with a fly rod in the backcountry but I heard the near shore mangrove snapper bite was going off and wanted to try it. Hooked up with Larrywit and took off with the only "intel" we had which was 50 feet off of Sanibel. Hit a spot and chummed with some home-made nuclear chum but not much action. Pulled anchor and ran 3 miles to a bit deeper second spot and started chumming again. After 10-20 minutes of chumming the bite starts and we catch some grunts, a couple of yellow tail, a couple of trigger fish and a pair of blue runners....mixed bag of small fish. Only one grunt was of keeper size and everything else was sent back to grow a little...except the blue runner who volunteered to take a ride on the stinger rig under a balloon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020476.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	35520

We got the BIG bite and all I can say is it was a hugh blast and things got way too busy to take pictures till the catch was on board.

Name:	P1020417.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	35519

Wow, 481/2 inches and a scale bottomed out at 20#. I am just guessing 25 - 30#??? After figuring out a new configuration for the ice and fish box it was time for the balloon to go back in the water. An hour passed and the bite started to wane. We had pulled anchor and decided to chase the top water bite to catch a few spanish mac's on the ride back in. The last rod to come back in was the flat line and we drifter along with it for awhile as we had seen some topwater activity very close by. We were reluctant to pull the rod and just as we started to call it a day the rod goes off and Larry hangs on for a long run.

Name:	P1020498.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	35521

Then settles in for a big fight. This fish is a bit smaller but super tough. Never took a long second run and just came in green and ran us around the boat.

Name:	P1020507.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	35523

Finally a second king boated this one 17 pounds on the scale and smiles all around.

Name:	P1020542.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	35524

Time to head for home with two kings that salvaged a busted day of mangrove snapper fishing. Now time to clean a boat and steak out some fish.

Name:	P1020558.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	35525

By the way, anyone know of any mangrove snapper bite going on????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020499.JPG  
    Last edited by Tight Loops; 06-12-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Nice work on the kings , always a fun fish to fight !

Nice Kings!

Banned
    Nice work. You eat those things ?

Need a bigger cooler, lol. Looks like a good time

Nice Kings , great smoked , I don't know on how the Mango bite is offshore but inshore we are catching alot 5 this week 10 to 15 inches up by the mangroves , I am sure your buddy was talking about that ledge that is 50 feet off of the peir , great spot for snapper in close

Outstanding post and congrat's on the fish.

We do enjoy mackerel. Had (2) 1 inch thick steaks from those fish Tue night, Old bay,extra black pepper.canola oil.. Smoking hot cast iron pan about 3 minutes per side ,then let it finish in oven at 200 for about ten miutes, glass of very cold white wine life is good in SW florida..We also smoke them as another option..
    larrywitt