6/3/12 - American Red Snapper Run - First of the Season - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    what part of sw fl did you fish little more detail

Quote Originally Posted by tileman View Post
    what part of sw fl did you fish little more detail
    This time we ran out of Big Pass in Sarasota and headed WSW. We also run out of the Venice Jetties sometimes.

Awesome catch!

Kids can't hang with the old man. I like it...Great job.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

how much fuel do you go through on a trip like that?

I can't speak for Angler Systems but I can tell you I was also in 150 feet the other day approximately 48 miles (so roughly 100 miles total) and we burned 55 gallons total with twin yamaha 250's averaging 3200 rpm at 34 mph. My marina charges 4.39 per gallon, so we burned close to $250 for the trip. These trips are prohibitive and costly... enough to keep red snapper season open year round on our coast IMO.

godfadda, I have a 31 Contender with twin Yamaha 250 four stroke. I burn 22 gal/hr at 4200 rpm and run 30 mph. Do you have two strokes? If you have four strokes, what's the set up to get 19 gal/hr running 34mph at 3200 rpm. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco116 View Post
    how much fuel do you go through on a trip like that?
    Dock to Dock we burnt 104 gallons which was about 6 gallons more than I thought we would. The additional fuel burn was due to higher sea's for the first part of the mornings run.

We did essentially the same trip 4 weeks later and burnt 102 gallons but went a little further. On this trip we ran back never below 40 mph and at time up to 59 mph.

We did this run in my single engine Fountain and burned 65 gallons loaded heavy averaging right about 2mpg. We probably averaged just under 35mph.I had some pitch taken out of the prop and it was slipping in the cruise speed zone that cost us some extra fuel. Prop shop is adding a little cup back in. Water conditions play a big role in the fuel burn too. Im usually closer to 2.5mpg and have sen as a high as 3.5mpg loaded light cruising the ICW.
    The nice part about having a boat that isnt as fast is there is not the temptation to hammer down and get home in a hurry. 30mph vs. 35mph isnt going to change your day.

I have a 27 cc with twin 150 1996 carbed motors. My burn is constant 1.4 mpg. I run 3200 rpm @ 27-28 mph To 3600 rpm @ 32mph. The only time I use more fuel is under non planing conditions of heavy seas. I have always kept a log for each fill up and fuel used. The fuel gage is just for show. When I fill I know w/in 1.5 gal and have trip alarm set for 85 mile to let me know I am near the safe limit. Total useable fuel in both tamks is 72 gal. This gives me a 30 mile safety range.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast