Snook Lights

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snook Lights

Snook Lights

Everyone always has a different opinion on what works best and when and how to do something when it comes to fishing. So Lets hear it guys. How, When and what do you use when you fish snook lights. Also, mention where your at to see the differences!

I have a "Deep Glow" light near shell point, it gets an amazing amount of fish. I've seen dolphins feeding on Sailcats and snook right at the end of my dock. Fly's work best for fishing it.

DOA shrimp seems to get the most bites for us by far, followed by a Zoom superfluke rigged weedless in white. Erratic "walk the dog" type retrieve with the Zoom. DOA fished slow and steady, occasional "twitch".

Do you let the doa drop like a jig? And what time do you fish? Also, what color glow?

We always fish shrimp in the Venice area, #1 owner circle hook, 30lb floro ; If the water is cloudy or right at dark they will hit topwater

I found they spooky real easy when it rains do you guys notice that too? Maybe its just the canals in fishing... Also how do you hook your shrimps

In years gone by....

Bait #1 - scaled sardine
    Bait #2 - shrimp

In winter bait #2 works as well as or better than bait #1, most other times bait #1 works better.

We hook shrimp through the last tail segment on a horizontal plane -- they cast (and skip under docks!) better that way.

FWIW, I have found docks lights that cast a strong shadow line and have good water movement to be best.

Sincerely submitted by a retired snook fisherman turned tarpon addict....Mike

great advice man i got one tarpon today and it was fun where are some good lights and spots for tarpon? do you like to fish a night or morning for better fishing at lights?

I like to cruise around at night for the lights. Best bait for me is small live free lined shrimp. Next is a doa shrimp with out the lead. I find that if they flutter ^in the water column more that i get more strikes. To much action tends to spook the snook!

Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    I have an old style street light on Little Gasparilla. I throw sardines up current and when they hit the shadow line- BANG. But you have to know when the shrimp are running. When they are, the snook under my dock won't hit a sardine and won't miss a shrimp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast