pulled out a 14/0 hook out of my foot!!!!

Florida Sportsman

pulled out a 14/0 hook out of my foot!!!!

this afternoon around 5:00pm I pulled a 14/0 hook out of my foot!!!, The story starts this afternooin at Norm Zeigler's fly shop in Sanibel Island, it's my first time fishing in Sanibel, so I thought it appropiate to first stop at the local fly shop to get a feel of the current conditions. Low slack tide was prognosticated for 7:00pm so I get there and I start browsing the store, and was noticing at the size of the flies used in the area...they run smaller than anywhere else you think snook. anyways, I ourchased some 50buck worth of flies and material, and as I'm paying I ask him about where to go, then I ask him if I would be good fishing with my Tevas sandals or if i better wear wading boots...he tells me that I better wear my boots...he got stung by a ray a while ago when he was too lazy to put on his boots, I tell him that I only have neoprene wading boots, and he says....they wont stop a barb from going in...he shows me some nice SIMS wading boots for $99us that he had been wearing for the past 3 years...I think to my self..."some day I'll wear them"...so he sends me on my way...as I make my way on to the beach I see that the low tide is really happening, and on top of it.. the water is murky as hell, forget sight fishing...so I cross the first through onto the sandbar...and I start blind casting...an excercise in futility...so..a good 10 minutes go by, when I feel something like a thick line trying to taangle on my foot...as I take the next step...I see a faint silver flash in the water, and then I feel it...a sting..which didn't feel that painfull...."oh my God" I said and thoughts of Old dirty Caster with his nasty sting ray encounter came to my mind...it had happened to me!!!, but it wasn't. I tried to take anothere step, and I couldn't...I was stucked...as I look down (water was foot an half deep) I saw a 14/0 J hook impaled on my neoprene boot....and thru my skin all the way past the barb...the hook was attached to a stainless steel cable that ran straight into the sand...I tried pulling on the cable and I couldn't get it free from the sand...I didn't have any kind of grip on the slippery wet wire, I tried to wrap my hand around the wire but it also moved the hook that was deep inside my flesh...thank God I had a nice pair of needle nose pliers and I cut the wire next to the hoo...then proceeded to grab the wire with the pliers and pull!!! until it came loose...and what it was?...a huge sinker buried deep into the sand!...with only the wire and hook slinging free on the water...I slowly made my way back to the beach and asked for help to a nice couple that were enjoying the beach, they came to me shocked in desbelief for what they where seing...we cut open the bootie and saw for the first time we could see how deep that big rusty hook was imbeded...you could actually feel the huge barb pushing agains my skin...they told me to call an ambulance, call for help, get to an ER room...and all I was thinking was the 500 bucks it would cost me..I said, "nah we're pulling this *****!"...they were telling me to push the hook out and cut the point..but I tried putting a dent on that thick hook with my pliers..and of course..it was to thick. So I tell them..it's now or never, we do this while the adrenalin is high!, I grab 8 feet of 40lb test line...do a blood knot on it. make a hughe fifure eight fold and fold it on itself...then I wraped it twice aroun my wrist...tell the guy to press down on the hook eye and at the count of three I gave it a strong hard pull...the hook came out clean and was lost...blood starting pumping out of the puncture hole,,and I just put pressure on it. then I took my buff scarf and gave it to the couple on the beach and told them to cut it so it would be a long cloth..I dressed the wound and went back home...40 minutes later I took the bandage and all there was to see was just a black spot..it had healed and was no longer bleeding...I'm still in shock...can't believe I was positively anchored to the bottom of the ocean by a terminal shark leader....i just wanted to share this with you guys...attached are a couple of pics....se if you can find the hook in one of the pictures...

IMG00577-20120602-1939.jpg
    IMG00574-20120602-1736.jpg

Tight Lines,

Felipe.
    Last edited by FreeFlyFree; 06-03-2012 at 01:18 AM.

That sux and its awesome all at the same time. Good work on removal. To bad u lost the hook. Hope it dosnt get anyone else.

I always feel bad when I loose a setup or rig at the beach. I would feel bad if I knew something like this happened from my equipment.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

More pics from today, a big thank you to Larry and his wife for the assistance provided

photo 5.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Nice job on the removal.
    Tetanus comes from fecal mater, so you're probably good in that regard.

I hate seeing that stuff, these days when it comes to trash on the beach nothing suprises me. It could have been somebodys 5 year old kid with that hook buried in them, without pliers, and without a cool head that could end horribly for a small child.

I've been to the ER twice over the years to have hooks removed from my hide, you have my sympathies...

Two things are very important about puncture wounds in the salt, the first is basic fisherman's first aid - encourage that wound to bleed as much as possible since the blood will aid in cleansing the wound... Second, and even more important for any one with a wound that occurs in warm saltwater.... If there's the slightest evidence of any infection at all in the first day or so - get to your nearest Emergency Room right then. There's a naturally occurring bacteria always present inshore in warm conditions called vibrio ..... (don't ask the second name). Every year folks get vibrio infections that can very, very quickly cost you a limb or your life.... The stuff multiplies so quickly that waiting a day (for what appears to be a minor infection) can turn life threatening. If you do make that trip to the E.R. make sure to tell the docs to "check for vibrio" and if they've never heard of it tell them to look it up. Many popular accounts of vibrio infections call it "flesh eating bacteria" (bet I've got your attention now...).

Several years ago there was a lot of press (and articles in fishing magazines) about the dangers of vibrio infections in the salt. The folks most at risk are waders and commercial types that have their hands in warm saltwater daily. You can probably Google the topic and learn more if needed.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Banned
    freeflyfree,

I have also pulled dozens of hooks out of myself and buddies, caused from casting accidents to just bad casters fishing in the line ups we have on our Rivers here in Northern California. That method of pushing down hard on the hook then yanking it out is almost magic, I have used that trick in all types of scenarios works great, Glad you were successful. I also agree on bleeding the wound out.

Carl Blackledge

Yeah when the hook came out, a lot of blood came out, but I wasn't aware of letting it bleed for cleaning purposes. Here are some blurry pictures of the removal moment. the guy didn't want to look at it...at this moment I'm going "on three!! ONE, TWO (and I pulled, never got to three hehe)...They were taken by the couple on the beach and they e-mailed them to me.

Lemay! vibrio huh? thanks. I never would've come accross these tips if it wasn't for you guys.

Thanks

hook 8.jpg
    hook 9.jpg