Monster Peacocks

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Monster Peacocks

My buddy Jim and I finally got a nice long break from med school and decided to check out the peacock bite around here while we can...

Got to the water around noon, the fish were thick around our launch area. Tons of mayans, largemouths and peacocks just sitting around, occasionally busting up some bait. Threw in a couple of casts before launching the boat and I pulled out a small largemouth, about 1 pound. As I'm getting the hook out Jim is casting at a pipe. All I hear is "OH MY GOD!" and I turn to see a solid mass of bright orange and green take off about 3 feet out of the water. We're both screaming in joy as he reels it in. Freaking thing was so big it was impossible to lip with one hand, and it was solid muscle. Got some nice pics, released the beauty, and threw a couple more casts to fish that were no longer responding before launching the boat.

As soon as we get in and start casting, we bump into a school of about 20 2-3 lb peacock. They're crushing the bait and they chase our flies like their lives depended on them but we can't manage a bite out of this school. We move on to a drain pipe that held a few big boys last time I visited this lake. I spot a few properly large peacocks, with blue dorsal fins and huge mouths, probably 7-10 lb fish. They looked like little grouper, with those massive pancake sized pectoral fins. They follow a few flies, but aren't fooled. I managed to hook up to a nice 1.5 lb peacock that I was excited about, and another couple largemouth. Every fish we caught was hefty in the tummy with solid lean mass, even the smaller ones. By the time 2:30 rolls around the sun is killing us, the bite has almost turned off and our best flies have lost eyes and are ready to be framed. I lose 2 nice peacock to a bad leader right at the end before we call it a day.

Nice to know there are still some proper monsters around here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	33278

The fly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (1).jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	33282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	33283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	33284
    the fish

Way cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Sweet!

Pretty fish!

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2013 Ankona Native SUV 17

Very Nice!!!

way to go, that's a huge peacock

Not exactly what I would call a monster Peacock bass

Huh? Being from california, you may be confused. Here in florida we only have one species of peacock, Cichla ocellaris, which doesn't get much bigger than 25 inches.
    That fish was the biggest I've ever seen in my 3 years chasing them around the miami area, and was for free, on a homemade fly, fishing in what's pretty much my backyard. Not bad considering people shell out thousands of dollars to catch pretty much the same thing in south america.

Anyways I guarantee it was bigger than any peacock you'll find in california

thanks for all the comments!

Senior Member Capt George Gozdz's Avatar
    Great report!

Capt. George Gozdz
    Host "Reel Time with Florida Sportsman"
    www.floridasportsman.com/rtfs

Flatlined Charters
    www.flatlinedcharters.com

Quote Originally Posted by kahmad View Post
    Huh? Being from california, you may be confused. Here in florida we only have one species of peacock, Cichla ocellaris, which doesn't get much bigger than 25 inches.
    That fish was the biggest I've ever seen in my 3 years chasing them around the miami area, and was for free, on a homemade fly, fishing in what's pretty much my backyard. Not bad considering people shell out thousands of dollars to catch pretty much the same thing in south america.

Anyways I guarantee it was bigger than any peacock you'll find in california

thanks for all the comments!

I don't think I mentioned California.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast