5/27/12 Found a different kind of seaWeed and a small Dolphin

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

5/27/12 Found a different kind of seaWeed and a small Dolphin

Headed out of Boynton Inlet around 6:30am with my buddy Chris, looked for some bait in front of the inlet and only managed about six sardines . Headed off shore to look for dolphin, came across a weed line around 450ft, quick troll, nothing. Decided to head way off shore , passed 750ft with some really nice weed patches, but already two many boats around, so continued out further to find our own, we saw a buoy of some sort floating in about 1,400 ft or so we thought it was a buoy. We saw some dolphin go by under it, so we threw a couple of sardines out and waited, nothing happening. Looking closer at this buoy in the water, I noticed it looked like it had some wrapping on it, so I joked to my friend, I bet its weed, so I hooked it with my gaff and sure enough when we brought it aboard, I cut it open and all my high school knowledge from 20 years ago came into play. We couldn't believe it, you always joke about when you go off shore, what would you do if you found some? Well fortunately I'm not in high school any more and I radioed the coast guard, they had me meet the Boynton police in front of the inlet.
    On the way back in around 1,100 ft we came across some of the largest weed patches I have seen this year, so we made a pit stop and threw the last two baits out . There was a ton of bait under the patch , so I guess ours didn't entice any of the dolphin swimming around. So just for the hell of it, I put a goofy jig on one of my snook rods and sent it down, sure enough I got a nice fight going on light tackle. I get him in the boat, and I hear the coast guard calling on our radio , whats our 20, so we took off and headed in, I'm thinking at this time, I should of left that crap in the water, and continued fishing, but who knows if the next guy who saw it , wouldn't just keep it. Hopefully good karma is true, because I have the KDW Classic next week and I could use it.
    Other than that, what a gorgeous day out and very fishy , Hopefully somebody made out big today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weed pic 2.jpg   weed pic 1.jpg   weed pic 3.jpg   sea weed patch.jpg   dolphin pic.jpg   weed pic 5.jpg  

Nice catch ;) and glad to see you did the right thing!

Thats the way to knock the "skunk" off the boat!

HOLY MOLY was that a barrel of marijuana?

Edit: woooops missed the part where you said weed. HOW much do you think it weighed?

That's a lot of regs right there!
    Last edited by PaperChaser; 05-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Was it any good, look's water logged.

YOu caught a Square Grouper!!!

Yep: that's a square grouper. Haven't heard that in years, common saying in the 1970's. Man that's a bummer on the radio call with that patch.

Quote Originally Posted by isla21 View Post
    Thats the way to knock the "skunk" off the boat!
    Haha, we were just talking about running up on that yesterday with all those rips and patches out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCarl View Post
    HOLY MOLY was that a barrel of marijuana?

Edit: woooops missed the part where you said weed. HOW much do you think it weighed?
    It felt about 50 pounds, but it was waterlogged , dry it was probably 20-30#

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast