5/24/12 Dry Tortugas on the Yankee Capts
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

5/24/12 Dry Tortugas on the Yankee Capts

Sitting here recuperating from another punishing trip on the Yankee. The trip started with a 16 hour drive from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin where i have been working on some cottages my boss acquried to North Ga. to pick up my son who was joining me for this trip and then another 15 hour drive to the Yankee. We got to the Yankee and got loaded and readied our gear for the battles that were to come. We got to the grounds and started in 250' and the yellow eyes were comming over the rail and there was a nice Gag cought on the bow. We made a move and started getting some nice American Red Snappers, my first ARS ever and watched as it made its way back to the deep after its pardon and release. My son cought his first ARS and it was a nice 23 pounder.
    1337634479419_small.jpg

Then I hooked into a beast from the deep and had a battle that took its tole on me for a while. I got it about half way up and it decided it was further from the bottom than it liked and headed back down. It was determined to get back to the bottom and i was determined to get it to the boat. After a long battle I won and the 43# Cubera was boated. It turned out to be the pool winner for the biggest Snapper and biggest over all.
    1337638284618.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg
    My next drop hooked up to a AJ that took most of the energy I had left, but it will make some great dip that the new friends in Wi. will enjoy.

Next was my sons first Mutton, a nice 19 pounder.

IMAG0333.jpg

Over the trip we cought some nice fish and the sharks took there share of fish and maybe more that there share at some stops. I am sitting here with aching arms and shoulders, my mind is in a state of lag due to the lack of sleep, it was another punishing trip but nothing puts a smile on my face like a good trip on the Yankee. Thanks to Capt. Greg and crew for another great trip and thanks to Mike for putting the trip together. We had a blast and will be back again

Yankee trip with Waylon.jpg

43# Cubara.jpg
    Last edited by Roc N Rol; 05-24-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added pictures

Nice Catching!
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.

Very nice cubera and others. I know that big snapper kicked your butt. Those things are animals. Make sure your new friends in Wi. hook you up with some walleye. Delicious! Thanks for the report.

Awesome snappers. Nice report. Thanks.

Roc N Rol, that was some driving you did there man.

Really nice fish you all caught!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Wow I thought I was hardcore driving 8 hours from Jacksonville! You were rewarded nicely with that stud of a snapper. Looks like a nice trip. Got to love the flat seas in the background of the pics. I'm headed down in two weeks then again in July. Cant wait!

I was at a seminar that suggested 30 million NEsteners wants to retire in the south. This great fishery is one good reason for some of us. Trip of giants when you get to fish deeper, twice the work-out. Nice payoff.

Nice report & pics. Serious snapper. Well done.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Thanks for writing. I had fun too.

Greg

That cubera is a real bruiser. Enjoyed your post. I'm ready for the Red Snapper on the early June Capts trip.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast