5/21 FP- Hand lining Goliaths - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sure thing - go get 'em!! Thanks for the compliment on the videos.

Todd

Thanks capt toddtt, going to check your videos now. I meant to pick up some of that weed eater line but the tackle shop i checked was out, cant wait to get out again!
    Im pretty sure I saw you at the stan blum ramp at the boat cleaning station last week or so. I was with another buddy of mine in a 20' pathfinder in front of you. After we left i was like that was capt todd off the forum, i should have said hello.

Heck yeah next time come say hello!!

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewilde View Post
    When I was a kid, we (my buddy & I) fished for Jewfish with a 1/2 inch manila rope and 6 ft of 1/8 inch chain attached to a hook the size of your hand - we weighed the biggest one we caught, and it was right at 600 lbs.
    I was gonna say......This is also the way the Key West natives fished for jewfish. And as guides, all the Key West light tackle guides had "jewfish lines" in their boats at all times. Mine consisted of a length of parachute cord, followed by about 4 lbs. of trolling weights; crimped (swedged?) cable and a huge hook. If we were fishing on a Gulf wreck and started losing fish to "something" below, then over went the jewfish line, cleated at the stern. If it was a big fish, starting the boat's engine and idling forward a few feet, kept the fish out of the wreck. We always sold our jewfish to a favorite Key West Cuban restaurant. "Guasa," was a Cuban dish to die for and my mouth still waters at the thought of this, now over 20 years ago.

Very cool. At least you got worked and not skunked. I'll have to let you use my Goliath rod and reel setup.

Thanks for the report. It's great reading other comments on this thread as I have never targeted Goliaths. Maybe I give it a go one day.

Remember that FWC prohibits the target fishing of goliaths, as I was told by one of there agents that were on the water. Yeah you see them do it on tv but some shows get special permission to do it but also remember if you catch one and take a pic of it, it must remain in the water. Once it's out of the water FWC considers it harvested. Just a hint for those who didn't know the rules.

Snook87 please show us where FWC prohibits "targeting" Goliaths. Not trying to start an argument but I believe this is incorrect information. You are correct to about removal from the water. But that has nothing to do with "targeting them". If it is prohibited how could a TV show get permission to break the law? The link at the bottom of this post has all of FWC's info about the do's and don'ts of Goliath. It includes information on proper catch and release techniques and also proper photography guidelines. Nowhere is there a single sentence about avoiding catching them - just what to do when you do catch one to protect them and stay legal. I do target this species on a fairly regular basis and of course I want to stay within the regs so I read up. If I have missed something please point me in the right direction. Again I am not trying to start trouble - just want to make sure we all have accurate info. Thanks man.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/goliath-grouper/catch-and-release/

Quote Originally Posted by capt_toddtt View Post
    Snook87 please show us where FWC prohibits "targeting" Goliaths. Not trying to start an argument but I believe this is incorrect information. You are correct to about removal from the water. But that has nothing to do with "targeting them". If it is prohibited how could a TV show get permission to break the law? The link at the bottom of this post has all of FWC's info about the do's and don'ts of Goliath. It includes information on proper catch and release techniques and also proper photography guidelines. Nowhere is there a single sentence about avoiding catching them - just what to do when you do catch one to protect them and stay legal. I do target this species on a fairly regular basis and of course I want to stay within the regs so I read up. If I have missed something please point me in the right direction. Again I am not trying to start trouble - just want to make sure we all have accurate info. Thanks man.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/goliath-grouper/catch-and-release/
    Well a few years back i had posted a picture on a public site of me holding a goliath that we caught at a bridge, still in the water unhurt and a few day later a FWC investigator came to talk to me. had gave me a long talk, took my camera pics, and told me what you can and cant do. He said if your targeting the species directly its written in the Florida Administrative Code that you cant "target them directly". If I can find the officers name ill PM you his phone number and he can tell you exactly where in the FAC it states it. He is a local officer that drives around a white unmarked undercover F150 if thats the same guy still. I just wanted to share a heads up. I also heard through some sources that Capt George Gozdz also got the talking to about fishing for goliaths and maybe ask him about the rules too. TV shows also tell you what you cant do as well. I believe it was an episode with Henry Waszczuk explained about how tv shows were allowed to "target" them. They are fun to catch no doubt and its great fun. Ill still fish for them but not directly to save my behind and so no questions can be raised.

Solid job there guys!!!!

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast