5/21 FP- Hand lining Goliaths

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

5/21 FP- Hand lining Goliaths

So my buddy Harry aka (Floridaboy) bought a spool of heavy duty hand line to try up aginst the massive goliaths. Sounded crazy but we gave it a shot. We loaded up the boat and headed straight to the Boils. After getting some threadfins, we started fishin! We caught a few big jacks and kept them for the goliaths. About 30 of fishin I pulled in a decent sized under slot gag grouper! After catching the jacks we rigged up and dropped one down. Two minutes of soaking and Harry gets slammed almost pulling him in. Fought him for a minute until he snapped the hand line. Quick re-rig and we send another one down, took a little longer but he gets crushed again. But once again the massive goliath tore through the rig. We got worked! Decided to then head in and stop to drift FP inlet with the rest of our threadfins. The second drift I get thumped and pull up a fat 26inch redfish! Did one more drift and called it a day, overall a very exciting day on the water!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5200725.jpg  

Nice red.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like the perfect way to spend a Monday. Good job :full

When I was a kid, we (my buddy & I) fished for Jewfish with a 1/2 inch manila rope and 6 ft of 1/8 inch chain attached to a hook the size of your hand - we weighed the biggest one we caught, and it was right at 600 lbs.

Awesome!! Can't wait to try tug of war with a Goliath!

I haven't had any issues with the 400lb I have set up on my yoyo. Harry watched me get broke off for the first time the other week, but that was because of a poor knot. Crimps and crimp tool would have been nice to have that day.

Nice work on the red.
    Formerly-mr.redfish79

St Lucie Flats Fishing
    www.stlucieflatsfishing.com

Adam I tried 250lb dacron and as soon as it touched the structure down there it cut right off. I went and got some rope and will be prepared next time. It was a little rough while we were there and it was hard enough to stay standing on the flats boat. Will dedinately bring more bait next time also, it was just a quick trip not really planned. Whenever you wanna go out and give em a try again im down!

Yea we definitely have to spool up with some of that 400lb line or chain!! we got to try again next time its calm out

The dacron will work but as you found out you definitely have to keep it off the structure. I rig with with 600Lb X-tra hard mono top shot (30 feet) spliced into the dacron. It's tight (which is good) but it will fit. That x-tra hard mono is beyond cut resistant - you cannot kill it. We slay them at will - pics and video are on my website www.insideoutfishing.com

Good luck to you guys!
    Todd

We're going to have to try that stuff because were pretty sure it was structure that fish got into! Your video's are sick by the way! Thanks for the help Capt. Todd!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast