Some Carp action from the Bluegrass State!

Florida Sportsman

Some Carp action from the Bluegrass State!

My home waters (Barren River Lake) has been below summer pool for a while now and that has the vegetation growing and my mud flats are just "green" now... With the lake coming up to Summer pool it's been a little tough to find "open" spots to get some decent shots at fish. You have to find spots with no weeds/grass to get a fly in there on mudding fish or fish looking for an easy meal. Some fish are still spawning up in the vegetation and I've never witnessed anything like it! After a couple of trips of getting humbled I connected on a hungry fish today and a few a couple of weekends ago.

From today... Found some fish up in the weeds, but I would either get hung up or put the fly right on top of them and they would bug out quick! Found one that was hungry!

Feels good to get on a fish after getting humbled the last couple of trips!

Here's a few from a couple of weekends ago!

Fun fish to target and they can put you in your place quick!

See, now I'm trying the same thing on the TN river, but these fish are super spooky. The minute you pole withing any sort of reasonable casting range they bolt. Good job. Gotta get that sight fishing fix some how between trips to the coast.....

That's my home water!!! Just moved back this weekend. I harvest the carp in a different fashion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistermtd View Post
    See, now I'm trying the same thing on the TN river, but these fish are super spooky. The minute you pole withing any sort of reasonable casting range they bolt. Good job. Gotta get that sight fishing fix some how between trips to the coast.....
    Being the Facebook ho that I am and based on my friends out west in the Denver area, those "river carp" seem much more spookier than "lake" carp IMHO.... It ups the game even more! They are fun to sight fish for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis G View Post
    That's my home water!!! Just moved back this weekend. I harvest the carp in a different fashion though.
    Cool!!! You whack'em with the "Matthews" or "Hoyt" rod??? hahaha

Got a recurve. I love it. If u get back this way holler at me on her and we'll go if you want

Quote Originally Posted by Travis G View Post
    Got a recurve. I love it. If u get back this way holler at me on her and we'll go if you want
    Cool!! Appreciate the invite!

I like how the carp look like they have a fu-manchu. Pretty fish!

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2013 Ankona Native SUV 17

We sight fish with smallish flies in the lakes around here. Most productive, by far, is with small bobber above about size 8-10 booger (dark orange is good). 9', 3x flouro tippet. Look for a feeder in a hole among grass, set depth just off the bottom.Put it along it and just wink it now and then. Point is to keep the fly in the vicinity much longer. Less risk of spooking too.