Speckled trout fly

Florida Sportsman

Speckled trout fly

Which Flys do you guys prefer when you are going for seatrout??

if you have pictures please show

With kudos to ODC [& no permission]enclosed is an SBS of a terrific fly for trout. Also snook & reds.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...treamer-An-SBS
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Speckled trout are not very particular. About any streamer with good action will catch them if you go subsurface. My preference for them is going topwater with a gurgler. I tie a big chartrues one that is a killer. The surface strikes are a blast.
    gurgler.JPG

These are a little different from the ones I tie. I use 1/4" foam and tie the rear of the fly with the foam straight out slightly over the tail rather than folded over.
    Last edited by dunfly; 11-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Clousers. I'm still looking for a color that doesn't work.

Lectric Chicken. Chartreuse and pink clouser. But I agree that most any bright color would probably work. More important I think is how deep they are holding. Often times a sinking head or at least an intermediate line will outfish a floater (and even gear sometimes) no matter what fly you use.

I don't target trout too often but when I do I use intermediate line. And any fly I use for redfish will work for trout

Consider your habitat first. Most of the larger trout I catch are in less than 12" of water, which is ideal for large streamers & sliders. No fly is too big for a trout over 6lbs, but trout fishing with a 10wt isn't going to be alot of fun, so keep your bigger patterns sparse and light so they'll be comfortable to throw. Sparse made a good suggestion, I've caught several trout over 30" on the soft hackle streamer. These days I tie it on a #4 800S or a #2 600SP, usually in white with gadwall flank or pink with dyed teal flank.