Ponce 5/18-5/19

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Ponce 5/18-5/19

Ponce 5/18-5/19

On Friday headed out and found some weeds in 80', figured we better try it since we have been catching them up shallow. Wasted about 30 minutes without a knockdown so picked up and continued out to 300', found some scattered weeds. Spent more time clearing lines than fishing but picked up 2 peanuts and lost another. Picked up again and conituned east to around 530' and found some more scattered weeds and picked up 2 more, one around 20lb and lost another, total for the day were 3 peanuts and gaffer, 2 lost at the boat.

On Saturday headed out, almost called it at the inlet due to the crappy weather. I think i will purchase a magic 8 ball for my waether forcast, I think it would be more reliable. Decided to continue on, had a buddy in his boat with us so we didn't want to bail with everyone ready to fish. Went straight to the 28 fathom/steeples area and strated trolling, some reports from other boats said they caught them there Friday, we did not have suck luck. Trolled South with only a cuda to show for it so heaed east again. Found a weedline in 330', possibly the same scattered weeds we found the day before, but due to the nice 15mph winds from the norht they must have bunched up. Trolled it south for about 8 miles, picked up 1 gaffer around 20lbs, turned back north and picked up 2 peanuts. While headed north the shotgun line gets knockdown and line is peeling so fast I thought is going to strat smoking. Started clearing lines while my buddy grabbed the pole, looked back to locate the fish and see a bill come out of the water....no sail...I can only assume Marlin....caught another glimpse of in a wave, fish was a solid 6 foot longer possibly longer. My buddy fought it for a good 5 -10 minutes and comes unhooked....sucks.....we thought it just come off but after reviewing the rig, the fish had broke the 7' eagle claw, broke right below the barb so when the fish trurned it was off. Conituned to work the weedline (had to be 20 miles in length) and picked up anther gaffer and one more peanut before we started packing up the trolling gear. I told the guys before we leave we will chcuk a couple of living around the weedline wjhile we pick up. Buddys spinner goes off and see the bull come through the weedline hooked up. after about a 45 minute battle, we sunk the gaff, around a 40lb bull to finish off the day. By the time we had trolled the weedline and faught the last fish we were in 724', 52 miles from the inlet.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0877-1.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	32217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0871-1.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	32216

Nicely done!

Nice fish, but I bet that was a long ride in!!!
    2010 Key West 211cc
    175hp Evinrude Etec

It was rocking and rolling in the stream, leveled out a little out of the stream and then picked back up when we got closer. We had trolled north so we just fought the cross wind coming in.....

those are some nice fish

Yeah

nice catch. good report