5/13 night fishing NSB

Florida Sportsman

5/13 night fishing NSB

Sorry for the late report, I haven't been focusing on fishing too much lately. who thought being a first time home buyer would be so stressful
    but in the midst of it all I got out one night for two hours between 10pm-12am to fish some dock lights in a canal near the causeway bridges in NSB. I had never fly fished at night, or kayaked at night so the thought that this trip would somehow be relaxing vanished rather quickly. The purpose of the trip was to look for tarpon but I didnt put any thought or preparation into the trip whatsoever, so I show up at the ramp with a low/slack tide and absolutely no moon in the sky. I fished and caught blues and little trout on literally every cast at every dock, it was fun at first but then got annoying, the blues frayed the leader constantly and tore two ep baitfish to shreds. I lost two more flies on the dock pilings and wasted several feet of leader material due to frays... but one good thing did happen, on the way back to the ramp I stopped at one last dock light and saw a solid five foot tarpon laying right underneath - I didnt even cast to it, I knew better - with my kayak and 8 weight rod the fight would have either been short and equipment destroying or long and tiring and either way I wasnt up for it. the fish slowly lurked into the shadows and that was the end of it. Not exactly the masses of baby tarpon I was hoping for but it was nice to see that we should have some bigger ones in the river soon (if we dont already). Next time I do a night trip I'll be more prepared and hopefully I'll get back out to the redfish soon. Hope everyone's doing well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2h5tr1h.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	32548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29o3go9.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	32549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73fdwg.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	32550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ama537.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	32551

DUDE! let me know when you go out around here next time! I'm always looking to get out after work. Seems to be the only time I can get out there without any wind.
    A buddy and I put in between the bridges and were just goofing around in the channel and had a MASSIVE tarpon roll right beside the yaks. I was totally unprepared.
    The blues are still heavy and the trout really small around the docks, especially between the two bridges and even a little south.

Yeah man that would be awesome! I'm gonna spool my heavy spinning rod and get out there with some big mullet. I'd rather paddle around all night hoping for a big guy then go through another tackle destroying evening of blues and undersize trout lol. I should have some time in the next couple days to actually get my kayak and tackle prepared and then I'll try to get out when there is a decent moon and when the tide is moving.

Sounds like fun, Just be careful, that area has some dumb azz boaters at night. They do not go slow, in the slow speed zones, but slow enough to make max wake. I was by the north bridge, at 4.00 AM, and had a boater almost run over fly line while on plane, under bridge.

sounds like a cool trip, night fishing can be tough alone, not to mention in the yak with fly!

Yeah I was very cautious, never left the canal and had head lamp and a pole light that stayed on full time. I dont think I'll ever fish the actual ICW by myself at night, but even with a buddy I know its dangerous out there. Thanks guys!