Fishing at south jetty

Florida Sportsman

jeevy

Fishing at south jetty

Me and Bigfinn went fishing yesterday for a short fun trip. It was too rough for offshore so we decided to go down to Sharkey's pier. Within the first 5 min of arriving there you could tell it has pretty much been a desert. There was no bait in the water, no birds flying around, and everyone else seemed fairly drab. After speaking to one poor and persistent angler, who has been trying since earlier in the morning, I learned that all has caught was one trash fish. So we drove down to the south jetty to check it out. There was bait in the water there, there were some birds (saw one gorging on a flounder), but the bight still seemed slow. We set up and immedietly spotted what seemed to be some snook. So we began tossing all sorts of lures and cut bait at them, but they just would not bite. I tried some gulp, while bigfinn used some cut bait, some top waters, and he cal. I got cought on the rocks a couple of times, and switched to a white doa shrimp with procure on it. I got a bite but the fish hid under a rock, and i could not take it out. I think it was a small gag. After a while i moved up the jetty, tied on some leader and a gotcha lure. Right after my second cast i felt two taps and then the fish got hooked and i pulled it in. It was not much of a fight because of it small size, but it was a legal spanish and a fun catch. So i took a pic, put it in the cooler, and re rigged. After casting out a couple times, i was on again, but this time with what seemed to be a small king. I stripped drag for about 6-10 sec straight, then i began trying slow the fish down, and after a couple sec, i began re-gaining some line. I brought the fish within about 20 ft of me, and the hook slipped. I guess i should have set the hook harder, but fishing is nothing but a bunch of mess ups to get into the sport of catching. So overall it was an all right day. The bite turned on and off really quickly, and i was lucky and was able to get a fish so it was a decent trip overall.
    Soon to post pic

jeevy
    we also saw some tarpon rolling around the mullet, but we did not have the gear to target them