Hewes MBC attn all owners Fuel tank problems

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Hewes MBC attn all owners Fuel tank problems

I own a 21 redfisher the tank came loose found that MBC company are not securing properly they do not put any aft or foward
    secure tabs on tank they use a epoxy compound and they wont step up to repair as they state only 5yr hull only and wont stand up for their product and cust service isnt there
    so beware
    I found this by chance this is a problem
    look for me on Youtube will post pics

I had posted all pics on MBC web forum they removed as they know i am correct so please check all your boats
    there is 2 ways of doing this

1 under console look for sending unit it shoud be in middle of axcess hole
    2 drain tank and see if u can move foward or aft

remember if tank is loose and rubbing around damaging all under floor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel tank 001.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	32505 This is what hold tank in rear Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel tank 004.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	32506 Where the drain was rubbing on tank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel tank 009.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	32507 Look at top of tank look at the screw on top of stringer thats next to the fuel lineATTACH=CONFIG]32846[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 002.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	32847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 003.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	32848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 005.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	32849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 006.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	32850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 007.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	32851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 008.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	32852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 009.jpg 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	32853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 010.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	32854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank 011.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	32855
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tank 001.jpg  
    Last edited by chasintails69; 05-25-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add pics

what year redfisher?

05 they all should be checked as they went to mass production and moved drain from rear to the floor

I know someone that had a HPX-V 17 and had to have the tank replaced. MBC put a fiberglass tank in the boat and the ethanol destroyed it.

This is not an ethonol issue its a manufacture issue they dont secure tank properly and can be a big problem safty wise

Unfortunately, no surprises in your post (of the issue, MHP's response, and that the thread was deleted on THEIR website). Boat is out of warranty. Heck, imagine your frustration if the boat was covered, cuz you'd probably get the same answer, except with the run around. At the least, you give us used boat buyers some issues to look for.

Curious who you spoke to in customer service? Were they at least helpful, or did they go "corporate"on ya (ie. deny everything, and cover their arse)?

Quote Originally Posted by Poon View Post
    Unfortunately, no surprises in your post (of the issue, MHP's response, and that the thread was deleted on THEIR website). Boat is out of warranty. Heck, imagine your frustration if the boat was covered, cuz you'd probably get the same answer, except with the run around. At the least, you give us used boat buyers some issues to look for.

Curious who you spoke to in customer service? Were they at least helpful, or did they go "corporate"on ya (ie. deny everything, and cover their arse)?
    They even said that was not a covered. even under hull warranty and yes basically blew me off
    have also a friend new hpx thats delaminating and wont stand up to factory fault
    Just beware of HBC they are not the company they used to be

I also forgot to mention that Shallow water customs agreed that poor mfg was to blam for my problem
    and D & D Marine service who are doing all repairs to make boat how it should be

Here is an email sent to the NMMA
    Hello my name is ---------- ==== I own a 2005 21 ft Hewes redfisher flats boat. During a rewire as was have electrical issues we also noticed water entering bildge from floor drain in the process of repairing floor drain noticed the fuel tank was not secure and from floor drain rubbed on tank it wore a hole in top of tank how long has it been this way i will never now Called hewes and they told me to bad

Now as an owner of a hewes there my be others out there that may have the same problem think about it fuel tank not secured properly fuel line being pulled off fuel in the bildge and some unexpected owner hits there jack plate and ignites fuel WOW what a problem

Attached are the pics of how they attached tank
    note there are no forward or aft brackets only on top of tank to the stringers they use a bondo material in the comers of the tank

And here is thier response

I don’t know you spoke with at Hewes, but I have forwarded your email to the President of the company. Did you buy this boat new or pre-owned?

Thom Dammrich

Aren't you the second owner? Alot can happen to a boat in 7 years, especially with an unkown history. You never smelled fuel coming from your bilge? From the pics you posted on MBC it would seem that there would be a smell of fuel coming from the bilge that couldn't be missed, unless it was never checked.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast