If you care for large ocean silver mullet - 11/04/2012

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you care for large ocean silver mullet - 11/04/2012

The bait on the beach is very thin as I found out today. But there are schools of smoker mullet out there. Threw the net a few times on some and kept these. The largest mullet was 21". All these will go to my buddies who love the ocean mullet. I love eating these too but I already have plenty of fish to eat.

Arun.

That's either a very small foot or very big mullet. Yeah I've been getting mixed reports on the mullet run. It seems unless you are on the right beach at the right time, it's definitely coming to an end. Two weeks ago you could stand on any beach from Nassau to Marineland and literally walk on them. I'm not saying it's over but it's definitely headed in that direction.

I had to look a lot harder than I was hoping for bait in the river yesterday, but I've been spoiled by the all-the-bait-you-could-ever-want in one cast scene of the past several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Element View Post
    That's either a very small foot or very big mullet.
    These are huge mullet. Almost 2 foot long!

Arun.

West Coast Caviar!!!! I love them smoked.

Man...I need to get some of those....smoked mullet is the bomb !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Snake View Post
    Man...I need to get some of those....smoked mullet is the bomb !!
    I'll give you a shout when I get them again so you can pick them up from me. Getting 20 big ones is not a very big deal now if you are crazy enough and skilled enough to throw a 8 foot net standing chest deep water. I don't usually target them but I go after them when I get bored on the beach when no other fish is biting.

Arun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapn Skinny View Post
    West Coast Caviar!!!! I love them smoked.
    I don't have a smoker. I have a small size texas style cylindrical grill that I use as a smoker for boston butt and stuff. I need to buy a bigger one soon so I have more area for fish fillets.. or may be a real smoker.

Arun.

Nice fat mullet! The one on the far right is unusual looking . Would love to load up my smoker on those. Must be challenging thrown the net in chest deep water. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by ton_e_montana View Post
    Nice fat mullet! The one on the far right is unusual looking . Would love to load up my smoker on those. Must be challenging thrown the net in chest deep water. Nice job.
    Thanks bud. Yeah, you have to have the net completely packed properly in one small ball standing in chest deep water and throw to open it up. It's a 8' net too. I'll send you PM about where exactly I caught them if you like to get on 'em.

Arun.

I'd just get them from the boat...easier that way....and I don't have a chance to get eaten...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast