Triple Tail ?

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Triple Tail ?

Triple Tail ?

A few years back our HC took us to Charlotte Harbor to fish triple tail. Caught several. It was a good fighting fish and very tasty. How far North do they go? I dont hear much about them here in the Tampa area...

Everywhere along the gulf coast, and I'm sure at least up to NC or so on the atlantic side.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Managing Editor
    You can definitely target tripletail in the Tampa area, and everywhere around Florida at different times of the year.
    You probably don't hear too much because for most people they are an incidental catch, and the guys who do target them generally keep their talk about it to themselves. It can be a lot of looking at markers and buoys without much reward unless you are in touch with when they are around in your area.
    Here are links to a couple stories about tripletail on our website.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011..._0203_trippin/

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011...f_9711_triple/

Their range probably ends not to far north of the Carolinas. Their official "straggle" range is to northern Canada, but that is not reality.

Catch a lot is sarasota. Now everyone is in on it so they havent been as plentiful last coupld of years. We used to run the buoys and catch 4-5 a day and a few up to 15 pounds or more...Live shrimp free lined usually works, if it doesnt mark the buoy and come back later they will be there. Weve had best success on dark colored buoys when there is a descent current and the buoys are laying down and the TT will be on top laying on its side.

There was a pretty thurough article in FS probably 3 years or so ago about doing it out of somewhere on the W Central coast. Just like you said, channel markers, tide, shrimp. I think they also recommended small live pinfish and light led for fish hanging farther down the chain.

Folks catch quite a few in Appalachicola Bay too. I've only lucked into a few smaller ones offshore on flotsam. With the laws like they are now for so many species, it pays to learn a new fishery every couple years.

sigh...
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

white bait work great too. But you need to break its tail so that it doesn't swim away from the triple tail

Quote Originally Posted by binder077 View Post
    white bait work great too. But you need to break its tail so that it doesn't swim away from the triple tail
    We were fishing the buoys with greenbacks and the triple tail would eat immediately! The guy that took us doesnt believe in using live bait. He was catching them on soft plastic swim baits. We caught 10 between the three of us in about 4 hrs.

BTW, I was referring to the Port Charlotte area in FL...