Miami Exotics

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami Exotics

Miami Exotics

I asked noted Photographer Doug Stamm to join me on a day trip over to Miami for some Peacock Bass fishing. We left the West coast at 0600 and began the drive. It was tempting to stop at all the canals along the way, but we were on a mission. We arrived after a few short stops at around 0830 and met up with Mike Teixidor. Mike is a good friend and fellow Blue Line Fishing Team member, and he knows Miami Peacock bass. We launched at Antonio Maceo Park and we were greeted by rolling tarpon. They wanted nothing to do with us, so we moved on. We fished the Blue Lagoon area and it wasn't too long before the fish bite was on. I landed the 1st Peacock Bass and he posed for a picture.

Mike, who had the best day of us three, followed with a few mayan cichlids on fly.

He followed those up with a peacock bass.

We hunted around the area and saw lots of fish. It seemed like the were bedding and were aggressive in some areas, and slow in others. We tried for some tarpon action again, they were there and rolling, just not biting. Doug started using his fly rod and began to get results too.

We didn't catch the world on fire, but we did our share and caught a few. We wrapped it up around 3pm and I was back in Bonita Springs before 6! Not a bad day to spend with friends.

Nice report. We had our Peacocks wiped out in the BIG FREEZE a few years ago. Glad to see that they are doing well in Miami.

I love that system off the Airport! Did you guys launch at Anthony Maceo Park? If so there are some MONSTER snook and tarpon there as well back by the golf course locks...Looks like a nice trip for some P's. All in all Im looking forward and praying for a few mild winters so they can make it back to Coral Springs. Like near Pete, our population in Coral Springs was mostly wiped out as well....At least we still got snakeheads to wrassle with while bankhoppin ;) Great Report!

Pete, I saw a Mayan Cichlid in a Wellington canal about a week ago, could be a sign they and the Peacocks are moving back up after a warm winter?

Nice Job Bob , anyone checkin on the C-14 canal , they used to be thick there untill the big Freeze of Jan 2010

next time go down the lagoon to the west side where it turns to a canal that goes under coral way and fish with lures under the pilings of 8st and coral way and hold on for some sick peacock action and all big ones!

Thanks guys! Cookin, it was Antonio Maceo Park. That's a pretty cool place to launch. Flats, I will try that next time, sounds interesting!

Will you tell me a little about the Native kayak?

nice man awesome report

Quote Originally Posted by Justins Dad View Post
    Will you tell me a little about the Native kayak?
    What would you like to know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast