Nebraska Spring Turkey Trip

Florida Sportsman

Nebraska Spring Turkey Trip

As a "Florida Sportsman" sometimes you need to prolong your season so a trip out of state is required. This was our third year going to Nebraska to chase big Eastern Gobbler's. My brother, his two sons and I hunted west and south of Lincoln on public WMA's and private farms. We stayed at my nephews friends little hunting "shack" as you can see and had to rough it
    This was our best year taking four 20lb+ birds and had other shots. All birds taken were spot and stalk as they would not come to calls and really made it a challenge. Many 100 yard belly crawls were made. Saw lots of game and even had a coyote hit my Hen decoy as I just nodded off under a tree but had no shot after hearing a "thud" that woke me. I highly recommend Nebraska for anyone wanting to extend their season as the place is beautiful in the spring and Turkeys are all over the place. A few pics...

Yep, you really had to "rough" it! Lol!!

Looks like a beautiful place to hunt and you gotta love those decoy snatching coyotes. I had one do the same thing to me one year up in Missouri. His bones now lie in a ditch! You say easterns, but a couple of those birds sure do look like merriams.
    Congrats on a great hunt!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

Quote Originally Posted by flydown View Post
    Yep, you really had to "rough" it! Lol!!

Looks like a beautiful place to hunt and you gotta love those decoy snatching coyotes. I had one do the same thing to me one year up in Missouri. His bones now lie in a ditch! You say easterns, but a couple of those birds sure do look like merriams.
    Congrats on a great hunt!
    Really, "Hybrids". You need to get way west for "pure" Merriams.

HOLY.....smokes! Nice birds and heck of a trip. I hunted public in IL this last weekend but didnt have that kind of success. Infact, we neve shot (or shot at) a bird. We found 3 but never had a good ethical shot so we passed. It's all in the hunt........right?
    Nice birds!