Near Shore Diawa Product Test/Shoot for Goliaths-Jewfish - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JSTickum View Post
    I have a 80 to 100 lb Gator Glass blank on my rack if you want to put something together for pulling monsters off the bottom , I bought it a couple of years ago on a deal for another customer in naples , it is a beefstick
    How long is the rod? I already have an international all roller 130lb class rod for the Goliaths as well as a 100lb tallus. However, I might be intested for a new rod for sharking if long enough. Could you pm me pics?

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years
    Looking at that picture again of pulling the fish I have to agree. That forgrip is way to long.

Diawa seems to have the reels somewhat dialed in, but there rods need some work.
    Capt Bill

First off, looks to me like the angler is holding the rod wayy too high (highsticking).

What does the length of foregrip have to do with a rod breaking? When you have a rod spooled up with 150lb line and the drag pegged with a goliath on the end there are a ton of forces at play instantly. Your rod, with the guides on top, wants to roll over when it is under a load. The tip end starts to twist around, you hold on and keep the butt/reel end from twisting. The result is what you have there, a broken rod.

I have a spiral wrap rod to prevent your issue. Look into one or convert your own into one.

I have a buddy who broke 2 shimano conventional jigging rods as a result of the tip twisting. The third one we converted to a spiral type and no more breakage.

You can get away with a smaller/lighter rod if it's a spiral

Goliaths are rod breakers ...

Length of forgrip? better yet why did they make it that long.

My rods have 14 inch forgrips and way a way from the first guide

Seen spiral wraps 10 years ago...wasn't crazy about them.
    Capt Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkboat View Post

Just seeing one doesn't work you gotta try one to appreciate it. I have a 8 foot 30/50 that I made spooled with 100 momoi, catch goliaths too often, and let me tell you, it is a lot easier to control the rod without it trying to roll over on you. The long forgrip is nice when the rod is laid on the gunnel. My first guide is about 14 inches form the reel, to keep the line from touching the rod when loaded. The spiral is especially noticable when you are fishing for large fish under heavy drag. I made my spiral, it's no too hard to convert on and try it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	31223

Here it is in action, not the best pic, but you can see I'm reeling and not fighting the rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Shore Catch Fishing View Post
    How long is the rod? I already have an international all roller 130lb class rod for the Goliaths as well as a 100lb tallus. However, I might be intested for a new rod for sharking if long enough. Could you pm me pics?
    it is 6 ' , with Alum reel seat and butt 7' 6" , I can send you a pic butt not much to see , it is a blank , I can also make it stronger by wraping it with dbl A thread and epoxy , I can make it any color and I also use anti fog and U V epoxy , been building them for 20 years , let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkboat View Post

I agree , those V W's will break most rods . In my catalogs those grips are listed as stand up Tuna and Billfish grips , it is a Cali thing

Cali is big on Lamiglass..yea I know what the hell isthat?

I just sold my last Lami, didn't fit to well down here but they where made out of E-Glass...got 15 guys together and ordered the 1143 honey colored blank..then off to the builders.

Just thinking maybe this belongs in the General forum since we derailed the original post...sorry guy, I owe ya one

Love tackle talk.
    Capt Bill

Ok started one in the General section, all welcome, inshore, offshore, beaches and piers.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...106#post663106
    Capt Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast