Pomp and Macks

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Pomp and Macks

Pomp and Macks

I havenít been able to get much fishing in lately, but yesterday afternoon I ran just outside of New Pass in search of pompano.

Fishing a red 3/8 oz jig head tipped with shrimp, there were plenty of Spanish attacking the bait. The Spanish were deep, and were hitting right near the bottom. After putting a couple of decent macks in the boat for the fryer, something hit that exhibited a very strong initial run. As I was able to gain line, the fish peeled off on another run. After about three repeat performances, I saw a silver flash in the water. Pompano have eluded me this year, but finally, a pomp in the boat! The pompano hit at about the change of the tide. It went 16Ē inches to the fork, and will be on my fork tomorrow night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pomp.jpg  

Nice job. Almost looks like a Permit.

so the pomps are still around. going tarpon fishing this afternoon. Might throw some pomp jigs out while wating for a bite.

Nice work! The best eating fish you can find in the bay, in my opinion.

Does look like a permit, but I think its a pomp..

It really doesn't matter in this case because of the local laws in swfl but this has to be a permit. The news-press article just made me aware of the bag and size limits in the keys and elsewhere so I guess it really could matter at some point in time.
    http://ecomariner.org/wp-content/the...d%20Permit.pdf
    http://www.news-press.com/article/20...pnews|img|Home

Quote Originally Posted by fishdish View Post
    It really doesn't matter in this case because of the local laws in swfl but this has to be a permit. The news-press article just made me aware of the bag and size limits in the keys and elsewhere so I guess it really could matter at some point in time.
    http://ecomariner.org/wp-content/the...d%20Permit.pdf
    http://www.news-press.com/article/20...pnews|img|Home
    Thanks for the great info. After comparing the description to the photo, it may well have been a permit. Since I wasn't fishing for permit, and since it was in the size range of a hefty pompano, I automatically assumed pompano. Pompano, or small permit, it was super on the dinner plate. In the future though, permit will be released.

Looks like a pompano to me. The dorsal fin on a pomp is just a little bit in front of the anal fin, while a permit the dorsal fin lines up of the anal fin. If you look at the pics in the link on the previous post, draw a line straight down the fish and you can see the difference.
    Last edited by snook charmer; 05-17-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Thats what I thought at first too until I tried my best to count the number of rays in the dorsal and anal fins. I can't get above 19 in the dorsal fins. It really isn't a big deal but knowing my luck I'm gonna have that miracle day when I think I've caught 6 nice pompano and FWC tells me they're permit. These are the stupid little details that keep me up at night.