Visited Down South... old stomping grounds looking for peas 5/12

Florida Sportsman

Senior Member former bluefishinny's Avatar

Visited Down South... old stomping grounds looking for peas 5/12

Visited some friends / family in N Broward / So Palm Beach over the weekend.... Bought bare miminal tackle with me, rod, reel, few husky jerks, few storm shads. Had a few hours to kill so I drove around some of the peacock holes I have hit in the past. Was pretty confident going in... Spent a solid hour+ with no results in an area in the past on average produced at least a few sizeable peacocks in that same time. Did not see a single peacock, saw plenty of mayans, and a few snakeheads nosing their way into the outcrops but did not bother. Have not been to this spot since April'ish of 2009. I guess that cold snap a year later really did a job on Northern Peacocks (as in North of Tamarac/Coral Springs).... Next trip will try Weston area... Would imagine they faired better down there, deeper more "box cut" canals down that way... July 4th weekend will hit that area up... Looking forward to it!

Any of you seeing them in the C-14 system lately? That place took a hit yeeears back - circa 2002, but the populations were pretty awesome before the 2010 freeze.

Before I moved in 09, I was getting them as far north as Lake Worth.... crazy

i took a trip to c-14 area in late early march and got 4 peacocks in half a day.
    this one was the biggest.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	563200_10150604640711394_723291393_9665311_1624492078_n.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	31438

Nice Catch
    Do You Hunt Or Fish & Own An iPhone? http://www.TrophyRoomApp.com

very nice! Thnks

Bluemaninny .. yep N. Broward took a very big hit, but they are coming back N-ward bound again. I hear of catches in C-14, in and around Markham Park, and some still in the Weston stomping grounds you used to fish.
    Weston and P-Pines did take a huge hit pickings are still pretty slim here. SilverLakes which used to be S. Broward central for big P's is pretty much void of them now. I seldom hear of anyone catchhing one in the glades out of Holiday park any more either and before the freeze that was pretty common. It took almost 20 years for the established population to reach the part's North and West that it did.
    If you read the studies and data, the major plan was that they should never reach Lake 'O, and before the freeze they were very close, only a short hopaway, catching P's in the canal parallel to Southern Blvd. was pretty common, so the natural kill off was always expected by the scientist.

July 4th being a Wednesday this year , what are you calling the weekend. If I do go P hunting now, which I seldom do, I go to Dade County, but they will be back in my lifetime. I do catch a lot more Snook in places I used to catch P's though.
    Old ****** who just likes to fish

Thanks Sandy.... Dunno yet, July 4th ish...... Maybe weekend after...

Daaaaaang! Thats a beautiful peacock