Question: Do Red Grouper get worms?

Florida Sportsman

Question Question: Do Red Grouper get worms?

So I just got back from a great fishing trip to the Panama City Beach area, and was fortunate enough to land a couple of nice sized Red Groupers that make it into the box. Last night I was trimming and vacuum sealing them and saw several brown things about an inch long in the meat. To me, they look like worms. Before I eat these fish, or give them to a couple of friends that have been begging for some fresh fish, I'd like to know if they are. I wouldn't want to give away fish with worms ... tough way to keep your friends!!

So does anybody know if Red Grouper are susceptible to getting wormy? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Scott

Yes they get worms. They are harmless to humans, either pick em out or cook them and try not to think about it...

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Yes they are harmless to humans(or so i have been told) when cooked..Bigger fish more worms, harder to pick out..I have a very fine pointed pair of tweezers to pluck what i can see..Through the years i must have consumed thousands of them buggers..Still going strong..
    larrywitt

They're easy enough to spot and remove. The worms in trout on the other hand...

I've even pointed out worms in red grouper fillets to the Publix meat guy. I'm not sure if he appreciated it.

Gags will get them as well, but not nearly as much as the reds. I might see one of those worms in 1 our of 10 gags, but reds I see one in almost every one of them. almost all fish have worms. Most are so small you can not see them. At least the ones in the red grouper I can see and cut out. that's another reason why I freeze every fish I catch before eating them. Kills the liitle worms we can't see.

Sushi delight.

Just skip the angel hair pasta......it's built in!

Once it's blackened, you will never know.

Sent from my Jet Pack using Tapatalk 2