May 4-6 YC S Atlantic - Grouper Pick?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

May 4-6 YC S Atlantic - Grouper Pick?

Having the good fortune of booking this make-up trip early, I had 2 spots on the port pulpit. Later Killula and his buddies Joe, John, Phillip and?? also picked the bow. The starboard pulpit was taken by the Atlanta fire fighters that all started from Station 10.

The weather as we all know is the key factor in every trip was looking good after the blow on Monday. This also means fresh bait would be scarce and no one got to go out. We ran into a GI problem and with the generous support of Joe's group we got 2 doz to share among 3 of us. We stopped for fresh Bally but everything had been in Brine for 2 days, we had 5 doz (untouched), and 3 doz pins that produced well as chunks offshore.

At the dock we got the Don's advise to prepare for a short layover in the Marquesa, I slept thru till 5:30 and did not recollect laying over. We started fishing at 6:30 AM. Immediately, had a huge run-off and fish pulled open my 6/0 hook. Next one, hooked a small YT and was immediately gobbled by a grouper and got hung in the rocks, got him out once but could not pull him out a second time and busted off.

After sunrise we hung around the inside reef for all of friday where we had sargassum weed and did our pick here and there ( presume atlantic). Alex on his first YC trip, brought out the big stick and laid down a YT which ended up being a 43# AJ and he went on to pick up a decent Black to 14#. He had fun with a few Muttons and one that whip his a** which he could not turn on the Saltiga 4/0 that eventually busted off from rubbing on the bottom. I have to say these slob muttons over 15# were very strong and required a serious work-out to turnaround on 40# gear. A lone medium hog was also taken on mullet.

2012_05_04 YC_DT 010_AlexAJ.jpg
    2012_05_04 YC_DT 015_AlexBlack.jpg

On Saturday morning we shifted out to test the offshore scene and it turned out to be the best part of the trip. We immediately had decent sized Yellow Eye, followed by a bunch of nice scamps, and jumbo muttons to 20lbs. We also had a decent chew of blacks to 40# with at least one per stop and in some places multiples. The sounder supports a good show of fish but they were shy as soon as the aggressive ones had been picked off. We did see and hooked sharks but did not loose fish to the tax man.

2012_05_04 YC_DT 031_BigBlack.jpg
    2012_05_04 YC_DT 026_GW_14lb.jpg
    YCSounderIMG_0161.jpg
    YCSounderIMG_0162.jpg
    2012_05_04 YC_DT 025Hammerhead.jpg

We did not finish with a big bang at sunrise as there was no current but did have a few mediums looking for GI steaks and would not eat a half GI. All fresh baits worked great, including a big black that ate a sun baked YT or blacks that ate a small spanish grunt. Kings were not targeted except for the last stop and a few was taken to 18lbs. We did have GI under the boat in a couple of stops, Flyers and squid showed up but was not thick, all of which produced excellent results. GI was the bait of choice on this trip. Each piece of fresh bait procurred offshore produced instantly except the Muttons had ignored big chunks of King fish on this trip and settleld for small steaks of GI or Pins with squid combo.

Both white boxes in the back were full and everyone had some fish including many that were first timers.

2012_05_04 YC_DT 048_Total Catch.jpg

As usual the YC team took good care of all of us and went beyond.

The best part was my son asking me, are all the fisherman on these trip always this friendly! He had a blast talking and getting fishing tips from everyone on the boat. Killula's help in making the trip a fun experience. Thanks to Jackie, Jasmine Garden, FLL who brought lots of asian delights such as noodles, fried rice and BBQ duck, etc to share. That made my day. Had to say the temp was very pleasant and felt cool early in the morning.

Fishing can only get better with the opening of ARS. Now that the Yankee Capts is full time in Key West, enjoy, I know I will be back if SW has a seat sale.
    Last edited by globalwavetracker; 05-11-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Update

Thanks for the report. I was wondering how the trip went and nice to see quite a few blacks cooperated. I'll be on the 6/8 trip. Grouper, muttons and a few ARS as a bonus! Thanks for posting.

I was on one of the small boats W of tail end. We picked up on of your black groupers that you guys threw back (after there was 3 staples in its' cheek. I'm surprised the mates didn't measure it before stapling it. We tossed it back as well.

Outstanding catch and great report!

Hoogan
    The bite was there if you had fresh bait, but the Super Moon did not trigger any wide open feeding where we were. We did good when we were able to fish deep but all lines were flowing to the port bow and you had to be the first to be down before we swung off and it get's quiet. Good luck on your next trip. The fishing was weird this time in that small chunk bait got better results than half gogs on pinkies. As usual hardly any run-off when fishing the deep and my son had great results with narrow gap circles. He is a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by globalwavetracker View Post
    Hoogan
    The bite was there if you had fresh bait, but the Super Moon did not trigger any wide open feeding where we were. We did good when we were able to fish deep but all lines were flowing to the port bow and you had to be the first to be down before we swung off and it get's quiet. Good luck on your next trip. The fishing was weird this time in that small chunk bait got better results than half gogs on pinkies. As usual hardly any run-off when fishing the deep and my son had great results with narrow gap circles. He is a believer.
    As usual... Muttons continue to be as unpredictable as always. Mutton fishing has been outstanding in Dade and upper keys, went out off key largo and caught 11 mutts from 2 pm to 4 pm middle of the day! all between 6 to 12 lbs.
    Going to Bimini tomorrow for an overnight mutton - gun & run.

Hoogan
    Let us know if the big spawn at Bimini is still going on. Heard some places in the middle Keys have its just as good where a six pack can limit out in a couple of hours all day long hitting the spawn several times a day. Several of our fish also had roe that means they will spawn in the next moon.

Good times fishing w/ u guys, seems everyone got some fish and had some fun. Joe

JOE, heard you boys went to paint the town after the trip.Presume you had fun. No one went home dissapointed and you met your goal. Till the next round.

No, we headed north after the trip, just ate a few whole fried YT at hog fish and then we got on the road. Next trip we r going to grab a room for the night we get back and stay in KW for the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast