Jacksonville Surf Report 5/6

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jacksonville Surf Report 5/6

I fished the beachfront with my long time fly buddy Scott from Ponte Vedre on Sunday morning. We caught a couple of the ghostly colored Redfish. We saw some Black Drum to and way to many Sharks. Action was a little on the slow side and ended up taking a lot of video for making a movie. It was a nice change of pace. Seems like there's nothing more refreshing than getting and break from guiding and taking a long walk on the beach and getting washed up by waves.

Awsome pics and report Rich. Gota love the Island.

Niagara Falls, Canada and Madeira Beach, Fla
    Very pretty fish!
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

Great pics Rich!

2013 Ankona Native SUV 17

Surf reds are so pretty! good work man, awesome pics

Nice fish! Im in SC and I'm going to fish in the surf this weekend for the first (serious) time to try to catch a red. Do y'all strictly sight fish or do you blind cast (or both)? Also, what kind of flies do you use in the surf?

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    Nice fish! Im in SC and I'm going to fish in the surf this weekend for the first (serious) time to try to catch a red. Do y'all strictly sight fish or do you blind cast (or both)? Also, what kind of flies do you use in the surf?
    Thanks guys for the comments!...

What my buddy used to catch that Surf Red above was a Burke's Striper Swiper fly. Heavy big fly.We are primarily using large 3"-4" all White or White/Chartreuse colored Clousers with large dumbbell eyes on intermediate lines. The pics above were all taken a high tide where you can't see the channel or deep cuts off the beachfront. That is were most of the fish are to be found. Mostly blind casting and some sight fishing to. Look for shadows in the water and bait scattering and being chased and spraying out of the water.

Now these new pics I took below are at dead low tide showing the channel cuts were the fish would be at high tide. The first 2 pics were taken at about 9am low. We were fishing up near the top left corner of the these new pics close to the dunes at high tide. Those cuts are still 1'-3' deep even at low tide. The 3rd pic below shows the water starting to fill in the channels on the incoming tide around noon time. These photos hopefully explain this fishery. BTW we covered approx. 4-5 miles of walking here. Good luck Pez!

Last edited by FlyFishJax; 05-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Beautiful pictures aswell. I wish the water here was as clear as down there. I know of a place that looks similar to what you have pictured. Ill give it a shot this weekend; weather permitting. Again, thanks for the info and pics. I really do appreciate it.

What beach is this? Looks awesome!!

Little Talbot Island State Park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast