ReefRocket, Sat good example of why 23 ft boat captain should pick their days better!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ReefRocket, Sat good example of why 23 ft boat captain should pick their days better!

Sat was perfect example of why a 23 ft boat owner should learn to pick their days.

I let the facts of missing the last year's previous bull dolphin ruin and cloud my thinking. I used burnt force to get the little ReefRocket to East side of the Elton Bottom.

We were safe, but it was tuff on driving in that slop. No zoom, zoom at all. We started pulling ballyhoo a bit early because of the fishy signs and we did get some early short strikes at 125 ft. We just trolled on out and some unknown bait swippers raided the baits on the ledge, but not a clicker went off. Out to 350 and back. Heard the bill chasers out deep, but we basically stayed at the ledge. Came back inside with the weed. Fought the weeds and picked up a wahoo and dolphin to save the skunk.
    Went to leave and one engine had stopped running and we hadn't even noticed. The gas bulb had worn a hole it. We were creative and remade one. I hailed for Eton Bottom fishermen and a fellow fisherman brought us a bulb on his Fountain. Will post his name later. Even New bulb didn't help.

With seatow on a alert, we limpped on in 50 miles. Unpaking boat around 1 am. Stepped out of the shower at 2 am. I had gotten at 230 to ready the boat! Yikes.

Will add the good samaratons name later when crewmember returns text. The good samaration on the Fountain was , Freddie or Fraddle Fence. This guy drove a good ways out of his way to bring a replacement bulb to us. I will replace the bulb and offer lunch or steak for you and your wife.

I did get a few returns on my radio when hailing for the Elton Bottom area. Thanks to all and my hats off to the Fountain crew that drove out to find us to try to help.
    Last edited by ReefRocket; 05-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.

I was on 72 and 74 trying to help yall out but kept on getting stepped on everytime I tried . Finally heard someone chime in and said they had one . you must have had a hole somewhere else too not allowing motor to get a good siphon . Glad yall are safe

Bobby, first thing, glad to hear you and your crew are okay. That's always first and foremost for any offshore trip. Second thing, I don't think there was anything in the forcast for the last few days that would have warranted not going so don't beat yourself up for that. Yesterday certainly wasn't as calm as I thought it was going to be and it felt like the current was really whipping pretty good out there as well as the wind at times. We left out of St Aug and ended up almost due east of mayport and had to come back in against that SW wind and it wasn't fun. Much better than staying home and doing honey do's!! You lived to fight the battle another day. Hope the motor issue isn't major.

Banned
    What am I missing ? I was out and the sea s seemed fine, we only went 19 miles though. Coming in from where I was the wind was SSW at about 12. I haven t been out in a 23` er in a while and Sat. I was in a 32` edgewater so maybe I just didn t realize the snottyness. Glad you made it back in Bobby. You want me to add going over the boat to my bucket list when I get over to do the trailer ? What size were the fish ? Anyway, good job Capt. Putting your crew on fish and gettin` them home.

Glad to hear everybody is safe, that would be scary for sure. I made the call to skip a ledge run in my little boat last minute Friday and I'm sure glad I did. We fished north in hopes that the SW wind was going to stop as forecasted but it only got worse throughout the day. We only had a short run in, but it was nasty and wet. I would much rather have been comfortable and dry on a 32' Edgewater, but I like my fuel bill a whole lot better.
    Formally known as 2 Daze Off

230CC Hydrasport - Family Devocean

With the weather the way it was, we burned less gas coming back in from the ledge. Trust me, noone would be running wide open on the way back in the way it was. once we got within 20 miles, we where able to pick up speed a little bit more but it still was not as good as the weatherman predicted!!!

Banned
    We came in from the north so we had a quartering sea the whole way which wasn t but 19 miles. Riding the big boats is a bigger fuel bill but still cheaper than having my own.

We got beat up a little on the way out of St Aug all the way to the ledge but the ride back was not bad for us. Little engine trimming and trim tab work but we only took a few errant bow sprays if the wind took the water just right. We ran about 27 kts inside 30 miles. Getting near the inlet the wind picked up and I slowed down to about 20. Always keep a spare fuel bulb on the boat. Glad you got it working and made it back safe.
    Phinatical Fishing Charters - http://phinatical.com or click here to 'Like' our Facebook Page for reports and updates
    USCG Licensed Captain Danny Engle

Authorized AMSOIL Synthetics Dealer
    Click HERE for more info and how to order at 20% off retail

Glad you made it back in safe Bobby. Never thought about carrying a spare fuel bulb but I guess I will add that to the list. It was a little snotty in the morning for sure on Saturday but slicked out nicely for the ride in. We made 31-33 knots easily the whole way in. I wish the fishing was better but everyone got a few meals of fresh dolphin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefRocket View Post
    Sat was perfect example of why a 23 ft boat owner should learn to pick their days.

I let the facts of missing the last year's previous bull dolphin ruin and cloud my thinking. I used burnt force to get the little ReefRocket to East side of the Elton Bottom.

We were safe, but it was tuff on driving in that slop. No zoom, zoom at all. We started pulling ballyhoo a bit early because of the fishy signs and we did get some early short strikes at 125 ft. We just trolled on out and some unknown bait swippers raided the baits on the ledge, but not a clicker went off. Out to 350 and back. Heard the bill chasers out deep, but we basically stayed at the ledge. Came back inside with the weed. Fought the weeds and picked up a wahoo and dolphin to save the skunk.
    Went to leave and one engine had stopped running and we hadn't even noticed. The gas bulb had worn a hole it. We were creative and remade one. I hailed for Eton Bottom fishermen and a fellow fisherman brought us a bulb on his Fountain. Will post his name later. Even New bulb didn't help.

With seatow on a alert, we limpped on in 50 miles. Unpaking boat around 1 am. Stepped out of the shower at 2 am. I had gotten at 230 to ready the boat! Yikes.

Will add the good samaratons name later when crewmember returns text. The good samaration on the Fountain was , Freddie or Fraddle Fence. This guy drove a good ways out of his way to bring a replacement bulb to us. I will replace the bulb and offer lunch or steak for you and your wife.

I did get a few returns on my radio when hailing for the Elton Bottom area. Thanks to all and my hats off to the Fountain crew that drove out to find us to try to help.
    Bobby, could of been a man named Don Frattle ? He isn t in a fountain. He is owner of Frattle fabrication and is a real good guy. It wouldn t suprise me if it was Don who went out of his way to help you. I doubt he d be concerned about the fuel bulb either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast