Offshore - Venice LA. 4/28 and 4/29

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Offshore - Venice LA. 4/28 and 4/29

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

bout time... awesome, I cant wait to go back!

I know. I'm ready. Thinking about the missed opportunities on day two is killing me. I know a few of those fish were nicer ones. Oh well. I'm definitely down for a round two, though.

Wait for a good weather day when he's not booked, leave Fri at lunch. Drive straight. Fish Sat, drive home Sunday. It's totally do-able and that would be almost affordable.

I'm headed over in two weeks. Can't wait. Hopefully headed to cape cod for bluefin action in July.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Dang... sounds like a fun filled summer.

This was my first trip over to Venice and we definitely learned a lot. I think next time we'll have a better strike : boated ratio. Like I said we just had bad luck on 2-3 fish, but Eddie's customers (yours truly) lost at least 3 all on their own. We're all pretty good fishermen, but when you do something LITERALLY for the first time, there's a learning curve. What I'm really referring to was the chunking on the drift... looking back, we really screwed up because Eddie did it onc and our bull headed butts kind of got up agains the rail and squeezed him out. Being the Capt. that he is, he let us take over, but it probably did cost us a few fish. Kudos to him for letting us try and for not freaking out about not having the biggest haul back at the dock. As an angler, I'd rather loose a few fish than just be handed a rod, but on the other hand, I TOTALLY understand a Capt wanting to bring back fish... Eddie really had a good mix of jumping in when he needed to and letting us fish. What a great time!

Any other advice or tips you have would be much appreciated? I'm going a day early to try and hit the inshore. This will be my first rodeo for tuna and couldn't be more excited. I have been wanting to do this forever.

Sorry for the derail.
    Last edited by Red Fish; 05-05-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Looks like a great trip with a bunch of friends, having a good time and catching plenty of fish. That is what its all about and doesn't get any better then that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fish View Post
    I'm headed over in two weeks. Can't wait. Hopefully headed to cape cod for bluefin action in July.

buy your groceries in Belle Chase on the way down. There are no real stores in Venice (closest is about 20 miles north). There is a restaurant at the marina, and the food is pretty good, but getting the necessities for a multi day trip needs to be done before hand. If you are going with one of the tuna captains, you dont need anything gear related. They all have awesome gear, tuned for the fishery. Work out before you go

that response was meant for your other question...

That's a trip I need to make in the next 5 years. WOW. That looks like fun. Though, I personally could have done without the Jacks. Plenty of them over here, I can't see wasting the cooler space on the drive back. Though, if I was with some friends that didn't get to fish as much as I do, I can see justifying it. WTG
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!

Check Out Our Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/RockTheBoatCharters

http://www.RockTheBoatCharters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast