KEEPING A 189 IN A WET SLIP

Florida Sportsman

KEEPING A 189 IN A WET SLIP

I am thinking of putting my bird in a wet slip for the summer as the local marina has a really great rate and I hope it will allow me to use it more. Since the bird is self bailing and I will have power attached to keep my bilge set to auto, I am not real worried (should I be?). However, I am trying to figure out the best way to attach the ropes - which will be adjusted so they really need to "slip" onto the boat each time so I don't have to constantly re adjust them. Here's what I was thinking: the 2 bow lines are easy as I can put the loop end thru the cleat. The spring line and crossing rear lines I was thinking of tying them off to the deck cleat and then using the loop end of the line and slipping it over the rod holders that are mounted to the poling platform. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by trponhunter; 05-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ 150 E tec
    *Current - 2010 Beavertail Vengence with 90 E tec

FYI - I spoke with Frank and he said that the rear rod holders are plenty strong enough to tie off to. I put the boat in the slip earlier today.

What about the bottom being in the water for a extended time frame?
    Egret 2011 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I plan on scrubbing it myself as needed. From what I'm told, the location it's at is brackish (it's at black point) and supposedly if I scrub it once a month or so I'll be fine. If more is needed, I'll do it when out at the sand bar swimming around or hire a service - it's about $65 to have someone do it for me. It seems like it's really going to be nice to be able to be done with the boat within 10 minutes of returning.

keep a close eye on your zincs. If you see them decaying quickly there is someone in one of the slips tnear you that is running electriciy through the water and that can create it's own set of issues. I have seen a small boat with bad grounds discolor their aluminum over just a ocuple of days in the water.