How's the garden doing? - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am trying out the SFG (Square foot garden) method this year, so I put the tomatoes in pots with the soil mix for ease of maintenance. I have drip irrigation on them, but being in the pots makes them a little top heavy and prone to fall over. I ran a sting between two iron stakes to stabilize them.

I didn't start out that way with the corn, it sorta became a necessity due to them leaning over. The SFG says to plant a row of squares each week, but I have found it is better to plant the whole square and then all I have to support is the perimeter of the 4x4 plot. oh well, I will do that next year.

Picked the first squash yesterday and it won't be long before the bush beans need picking. everything else is slowly coming along. I'm going to check the taters this weekend. I'll take some pics. This rain has really got it jumping!!
    Confusion will lead to understanding, if you allow it to…

Don't major in the minor things in life

I've picked 3 zuchinni but nothing else.
    The squash is making but slowly. It won't be long. I think these cool mornings have the jalapenos moving a lot slower. They haven't been quick to jump up, which happened last year.
    Got a couple bell peppers in the making.
    Tomatoes are on the rebound after I found the worm that was making dinner out of them.
    Cucumbers are also working pretty slow. Not sure why?
    Watermelon is growing like, well, the weed it is. Got 4 plants and have probably 2 dozen blooms on them. Should have plenty!
    Last edited by omegafoo; 05-17-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by omegafoo View Post
    I think these cool mornings have the jalapenos moving a lot slower - I suspect because of the cooler mornings. They haven't been quick to jump up, which happened last year.
    Same here with the peppers. I've been doing the SFG for 4 years now. I have a 4'X8' and have zucchini, 2 types of tomatoes, cucumbers, bell, jalepeno, and tabasco peppers. Tomatoes, zucchini, and cukes growing good, peppers want it to be hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
    cukes growing good
    Last year I got starter plants for my cukes and they grew great. This year was my first trying to start them from seed. They came up really good in the starter pot and I let them get to about 3"-5" and transplanted them. The first round all died. The second round is growing, but very, very slowly At this rate I might have some by fall...

The cukes will kick in soon. I planted some from seed and starters. Both are growing but slowly but have blooms on them. My peppers are in different stages with the ones started from seed being smaller and growing slower. i bought 2 jumbo jalapenos and they are doing well and each have about a dozen small peppers on them.
    Confusion will lead to understanding, if you allow it to…

Don't major in the minor things in life

Already picked over 30 cukes off of 2 vines, been eating squash for 2 weeks, fried green maters for a week, peppers are strong on some plants, slow on others.
    Parsley, basil, oregano, mint and rosemary are kicken it.

Parks Whoppers are loading up on the vine.

I've been picking squash and cukes for a week or so. Been getting a few tomatoes and bell peppers for a week or so. Been cutting lots of basil to be dried. Picked my first jalapeno yesterday. Last weekend, pressure canned five qts of blue lake pole beans and three qts of squash. Probably can about the same this weekend. In the next couple of weeks we'll be canning salsa, spaghetti sauce, I hope.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123