5/3 Jupiter Island night

Florida Sportsman

5/3 Jupiter Island night

After recovering from a bad car accident a few weeks ago i was finally able to get back on the water with my boat and brand new truck to pull it. I still cant fish since i sustained extensive injuries to my casting arm but hopefully by mid may just in time for these tournaments to start up i hope to be in the ballpark range of doing some time with my rods and reels. But like always, I enjoy driving the boat. Myself and a few friends covered lots of water this evening and almost every light was stacked up with snook. There were some snook laying there in the skinniest water all the way to 4-8ft. It seemed as if the smaller snook were taking advantage of our lures more then the big lunker dogs patiently waiting. The snook were super excited and super spooked way beyond anything ive ever seen before. The snook would go form 10-15ft away to ambush our baits but once they inhaled them they exhaled them just as quick. The closer to the inlet we got the bigger abundance of snook there were. We did manage to see a few tarpon around but our main course of plans tonight were to drive the boat from my home in hobe sound to the waterfront bars in jupiter and stopping by a few lights on our way to and from. We stopped at Square Groupers for a drink and all that was under the lights of their dock were those monster fat way over slot snook by the hundreds waiting for passing baits. But with a bad neck and shoulder it was best to save the frustration for another day. On our way to another waterfront bar we came across a friend of ours in the fleet of commercial kingfishing boats coming in the Jupiter inlet and stopped to see how they did. Of course the kings were in good numbers and showed us a huge 60lb they caught and an average of 20-30lbs were the normal for the day and the other day they were catching big dolphin up to 40-50lbs and plenty of them to go around they said. There were some scattered sailfish and marlin caught by a captain friend of mine and he also said the grouper and flounder fishing has been going steady nearshore/inshore. So far ive been seeing and hearing with pics from social media and in person about alot of good fishing around. If you can get offshore and with a few tournaments just around the corner, its great timing to find out whats good and whats not when that tournament day comes. Im expecting to post up pictures soon as they keep coming in on my friends Facebook pages.

thanks for the report. It seems the fish at the lights the closer to the inlet are usually more skittish, as they get more fishing pressure. I do pretty well on the lights up in the LOX, but the fish are usually short. Good luck with your recovery and thanks for the report!

glad to hear you are ok and back on the boat.

Slide on over to Sandsprit Park next Saturday, May 12th for the Forum Bash. Good therapy for that arm is a few "12oz Curls" & listening to the "one that got away" stories.