Deck painting question

Florida Sportsman

Deck painting question

I am going to be repainting the deck and gunwales of my 17' Mako pretty soon and I am going with the kiwi grip for the deck for the non skid. My question is what's the best way to get a flat finish on the gunwales? What brand would you recommend? I am planning on sanding down with 60 and rolling over with kiwi on the deck but is there more prep work necessary for the flat finish? The boat was reprinted years ago before I owned it and it needs touch up in areas with the smooth coat.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4ducks View Post
    I am going to be repainting the deck and gunwales of my 17' Mako pretty soon and I am going with the kiwi grip for the deck for the non skid. My question is what's the best way to get a flat finish on the gunwales? What brand would you recommend? I am planning on sanding down with 60 and rolling over with kiwi on the deck but is there more prep work necessary for the flat finish? The boat was reprinted years ago before I owned it and it needs touch up in areas with the smooth coat.
    What are you sanding with 60? That's pretty aggressive...

This was my kiwi setup... Are you sanding non-skid off? Check out classic mako too..

I believe I read your build thread entirely haha what an awesome logo.

Plan was to use 60 to smooth out the entire floor. There are 3 layers of paint I believe but no none skid. Some spots even have the original tan floor showing through. Ill read through your process again. What I am mainly concerned about is fixing spots on the smooth painted gunwales. what paint did you use for the white coat?

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4ducks View Post
    I believe I read your build thread entirely haha what an awesome logo.

Plan was to use 60 to smooth out the entire floor. There are 3 layers of paint I believe but no none skid. Some spots even have the original tan floor showing through. Ill read through your process again. What I am mainly concerned about is fixing spots on the smooth painted gunwales. what paint did you use for the white coat?
    I used Awlcraft Snow White...I got a good deal on it..Would have used Alexseal if I was going to choose something...