Wire preferences for live bait king fishing.

Florida Sportsman

Wire preferences for live bait king fishing.

What's your preference- single strand or 7 strand for rigging live bait for kings? Size? Length?
    Also what type/size hook do you prefer for lead hook and stinger.
    Using bigger baits like runners and gogs.
    Lastly, does anyone use dusters in front and if yes, colors used, thanks.

Gary

Last edited by Go Mongo; 05-02-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wasnt kingfish specific

There are a ton of options. You can use a triple hook rig for live bait too and the top 2 hooks will act as your leader. I usually use an Albright (I think?) knot to tie mono right to a 5 inch or so strand of single strand light wire. If you use mono on your main lines, which is probably better if your specifically targeting kings, you can tie your main line right to the short strand of wire or a triple hook rig. Don't waste money on swivels and flours leaders, etc. I never used a duster but the commercial guys catch a ton on those types of rigs without even attaching a live bait. never. Really used a stinger but you will get a good amount of bite offs on bigger baits. If I'm using a runner or big gig maybe a short stinger j hook. Good luck!

On the triple hook rig do you hook the bait with the bottohook?
    I use a albright when fishing dead sardines and a double hook rig, but with live bait moving around they can sometimes miss the bait and catch the leader cutting you off. I've always used two trebles on a stinger rig with light single stand and about twelve inch main leader to a swivel. Pink squirts seemed to work best. We usually put tem on the down rigger as well and slow trolled. Actually caught a 47 lber last week on a triple hook rig and straight 40. Got lucky. Just want to see what other options are out there.
    Thanks

Sore fingers from wrapping wire all he time.

Triple hook rig hook it to the bottom hook yes. You can experiment with how you like to hook it. If you fish it on a flat line the weight of the hooks will make it sink down without a weight. You'll get mutton this way too. Like I said, lots of different options. Keep fishing and keep a log of what works best!