Grass report?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass report?

Grass report?

I primarily fish the banana river, southern portion. This time last year the action was absolutley insane. This year is pretty slow in comparison and i think it is because the grass hasn't came back nearly as well. Due to last year's algae bloom, or whatever the case may be. compared to last year, with the thick carpets of nice green grass, its like walking across a desert in my area. i have checked 4-5 different spots, and im finding the same thing everywhere. does anyone know where the grass is filling in well? i would appreciate any help, thank you!!

West coast.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

fished all week in sebastion last week.. all my go to grass spots were barron. wtf is going on?

I came across the same in port st john. Desert. Im going to try the no motor zone tomorrow in the yak and check that area out. Will keep ya posted

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    fished all week in sebastion last week.. all my go to grass spots were barron. wtf is going on?
    WHAT???...YOU MUST BE KIDDING!!

Nahh....Sorry Tony...just playin'...if I didn't laugh about this I would cry instead.

The explanation that I was given.....(FWC)

Drought = increased salinity = algea bloom = turbid water = dead grass
    They went on to say it would come back....

I...on the other hand hold the dissenting opinion.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

It's probably due to the warmer winter, keeping the abundant manatees around longer to eat up all the grass.

Save the grass open up the manatee zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Baitrunner View Post
    It's probably due to the warmer winter, keeping the abundant manatees around longer to eat up all the grass.
    An adult manatee eats 100 lbs of seagrass a day......

I wonder how long it will take for them to starve...and Jimmy to write a catchy tune about it...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Manatee's?....Really?...REALLY?......you're going to blame the widespread loss of grass in the East Coast lagoons on Manatee's?....

Ignore the fact that in the Manatee Zones the grass is generally at its lushest?

Ignore the fact that in the areas where the Manatee's spend the entire year that the grass is healthy?

Ignore the fact that Manatee's were never able to denude an entire estuary even when they were at higher numbers?

Seriously? You're going with Manatee's as the "reason" and the way to bring it back?..

Steve, (giving odds the response will be "just kidding"-winky face winky face), Sutton

Recall the 12+ inches of rain last fall in just a few hours that also had 60 mph winds? Water in Merritt Island came up about two feet in the river with tons, TONS of pollution in the runoff in just a few hours. The water was the filtiest I have seen in 32 years living in Brevard. Pollution and zero light gitting to the vegatation along plenty of very windy days took it's toll.
    I have seen a number of areas where the grass is coming back, slowly but it is returning.
    Does make for some nice sight fishing on the flats in the mean time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast